2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: trekking outside of u.s., foreign trekking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildmann Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2013, 9:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hi! am looking for any insight on backpacking/trekking destinations outside the u.s. am looking for insight on anyone has done any trekk trips around the world! i am on a budget. was looking to travel to nepal and seen how much it would cost,so now i guess i am looking closer!? maybe south america,do not know much about european hiking? anyone have any good trekking experience elsewhere?(europe,s.america,switz.,germany,china,asia,etc...etc...) just looking to do some foreign hiking to enjoy!(been working too hard too long) need to take a trip ! am mnimal on days also!(2 weeks most!?) thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before anyone can answer your questions, it would be best to know a few things.

First of all, what is your time frame?  What month are you looking at.  Different trekking regions of the world have their "best season."  For example, Nepal is best in October into November, and again March to April.  New Zealand would be best in January and February.  South America in our winter months.  Europe similar to America in season.

And, what is your experience?  What treks/difficulty have you done in the past?  Have you done any treks at a high altitude.  Most likely, you would have to acclimatize for 2-3 days if going someplace like Ladakh.  Or, for a day before going up high in Nepal, such as Everest Basecamp.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 3
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been everywhere. (Well, almost.)
Rics
Try this:
www.trekkkerman.com

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2014, 5:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trekking is possible pretty much anywhere on Earth.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked in Costa Rica, Germany, northern Italy, Canada, Mexico and, of course, here.

The US aside, my favorite, so far, is Costa Rica. A friend and I spent a week there, mostly on horseback, camping in the jungle. The people are generous and engaging. The terrain is challenging but approachable, though the trails up the volcanoes are long and steep.

Southern Germany was odd in that we had to actually plot a course to avoid populated areas; there were small towns and farms everywhere.

In northern Italy I stuck to the shore, making the beaches of Trieste a kind of home base. And I drank. A lot.

Mexico was a climbing trip to Potrero Chico -- most of my hiking, there, was vertical. Very nice people in the nearby town of Hidalgo.

Canada was a long time ago, but it was nice, just like Canadians.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
4 replies since Dec. 30 2013, 9:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply trekking outside of u.s.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions