2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need a new bag for weekenders and day hikes, Something ultralight for around $150< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Seattle Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2010, 11:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do lots of day hikes with the occasional overnighter. Currently I'm using a Atmos 50 and the suspension is too curved to fit things in it really nicely. So, I'm looking into getting something lighter that i can use for also a day pack. The name of the game is getting a pack that is light (as close to a pound as possible), around or under $150 and can use my existing sleeping pad (Z-lite short) as a frame. I'm considering the following (which are all roughly the same capacity, 50 liters):

Six Moon Designs - Swift
ULA - CDT
Gossamer Gear - Mariposa Plus
Golite - Jam

I'm currently at a base weight of 11 lbs with the Atmos 50 so I'm looking forward to being under 10 lbs.

Are there any others that you can think of that would be a consideration? Any and all comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Seattle
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Doitdon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2010, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zpacks are about the lightest http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml but a bit beyond your price range.  To get further beyond your price range take a look at Hyperlite http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/product....ck.html  I've never tried these packs but may be worth a consideration.
My current pack is a Golite Jam2 which I've used for 20 day thru hikes as well overnighters.  It has a compression system to adapt to whatever amount of gear your carrying.

--------------
Still Lookin
 Post Number: 3
LouisTheParrot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). It is a high quality outdoors store in the east - not sure if they're out west BUT you can order online at their website. They have real nice day packs that are around $120. I am a student and received a 20% off for store products (bought the pack for $100). The pack I bought is called a Cirque 45. Light, durable, and just the right size for 1-2 night trips. They have other mentional brands like Osprey and Gregor.
 Post Number: 4
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.golite.com/sleeping-bags/1-season

What about one of those. If you post a review somewhere you can get another 20% off. I got the sleeping bag for $130.

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check http://www.ula-equipment.com/
 Post Number: 6
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I disagree, certain ZPacks packs are not over the $150 budget by a long shot...

I paid less than $100 for my ZPacks Zero pack (with a mesh pocket and loops to strap a pad to the back of the pack), it is 1500 cu in and weighs 4 oz. My BPW in this pack is less than 6 lbs.

Although the large size, 2800 cu in Zero pack starts at $100 and 3.9 oz. You can add extra's but they add weight and cost.

Of the packs you listed, I have had the SMD Swift, and it is a very nice pack, but it is much bigger than I had hoped for. For bulky, lightweight loads, this would be a great pack though. I purchased the stay, but due to my stuff taking up so little room, I couldn't use it. It was too tall, so I always used a cut down ccf pad as my frame support. It did well with a 22 lb load though. Good pack for sure, and hated to get rid of it, but it was to close to my ULA Circuit and I was keeping the Circuit for sure... So, I sold the Swift and got my ZPacks Blast 30...

The Blast is definitely a Blast. I love it and think it would work well for you, but it is out of your price range...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
grampabarber Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2012, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can vouch for the ULA packs - they do a great job of moving weight to the hips, and the belt is amazingly comfortable! Very sturdy as well - my Ohm and Catalyst show no wear at all.

I've heard good things about Gossamer Gear packs, and have the 2012 Gorilla on order - I can give you a report on that later.

I've stayed away from the Jam, despite its great specs, because my back insists that weight be on my hips, not shoulders, and I doubt the ability of a totally frameless pack to do that.

Six Moons? No clue!
6 replies since Nov. 12 2010, 11:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need a new bag for weekenders and day hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions