2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: My Tarptent is DEAD!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Pansy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2012, 3:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had my Squall II for a long time. So long I don"t remember what birthday I got it for. And NOW it leaks. Like CRAZY! Is there some way to waterproof it again? I have dragged it 1700 miles on the AT, 300 miles on the NCNST and maybe another 500 miles on assorted other trails. I don't want to say goodbye but I can no longer use it in any amount of precip because all of my gear gets soaked. Hiking season is coming soon, HELP!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where does it leak?  If it's through the seams, you can reseal those.   I don't know if it's coming through the fabric itself.
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well I don't know but 2500 miles with one tent (what is it 300 nights ?) that is less than $1  per night, give that poor thing a rest.
I had a Contrail that has done about that many miles set up in my backyard and it looked somewhat tired , but still worked.
Still it did look tired...
All right if you do want to give it the kiss of life you can try the Atsko waterproofing stuff.
You can get a spray can, it may not last that long, or the liquid version.
this one :
http://www.atsko.com/index.p....mid=114
Franco
 Post Number: 4
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it's really dead, I'm sure that it can still be cut down and used as a tarp...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can we all just have a moment of silence here?  Sheesh. :(

Yes, what Franco said.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some silent Moments

Franco
 Post Number: 7
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mix up the same goo you use to seal the seams, and paint the tent with it. Or buy the Atsco stuff Franco was talking about.

Silent Moments. Geez........

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Apr. 01 2012, 9:33 pm)
Silent Moments. Geez........

They look like an infestation of aphids.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 9
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2012, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say you've gotten more than your money worth n should give it a nice burrial...

or recycle it as stuff bags n maybe a nice tarp as sugested.

Now back to the silent moments.. nice setups!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2012, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Contact Henry. He says you can re-treat it and gives you a link to the specific stuff he recommends. Unlike PU coated tents that rot away, there is hope for your tarptent.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh man! NO moments of silence! It can't really be dead, I'm not done hiking yet. I tried spraying it with some spray crap from walmart (which did absolutely nothing!) but I have nothing to lose by spraying it with atsco like you said.
BTW it leaks pretty much all over thru the material. Drip. Drip. Stop it!
If it comes to it I will definitely buy another Squall II.
This tent has been there, done that!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....re=plcp
 Post Number: 13
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 5:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how much wt. you will be adding by treating it?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The spray can has just over 2oz of silicone in it, the rest is the propellent...
If you use the liquid versio it will be a bit more but again once it dries it isn't that much.
Franco
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do I have to order it online? It can't add enough weight to not make up for being dry. I do not appreciate a soggy sleeping bag or a constant drip on my head.
 Post Number: 16
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2012, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Apr. 02 2012, 7:51 pm)
Contact Henry. He says you can re-treat it and gives you a link to the specific stuff he recommends. Unlike PU coated tents that rot away, there is hope for your tarptent.

+1.

I know Henry personally and he will fix it for you or tell you how it can be done. There is no better customer service out there!

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
Attila Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2012, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a six moons tarptent and they recomend the same Atsko stuff. My tent is doing the same thing. I havent used it out in the rain since treating so dont have any practical experience with it yet.
Id try the atsko before buying new-save yourself $200 aproximatley.

Franco your utube vid didnt work for me. is it a video using atsko?
later
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was using the mcNett version , "Thundershield Silicone water proofing" (could be the Atsko re-branded...)
The video is titled "misting silnylon fix"
It's a low res MPEG2 file, should work on dial up.
Franco
 Post Number: 19
busere Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey...nothing last forever...
 Post Number: 20
Dochartaigh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2012, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(busere @ Apr. 24 2012, 12:26 pm)
Hey...nothing last forever...

I found that out the hard way last weekend. My Moment is waterproof, but on its first time out there's now 32 holes in the bottom  from mere pine needles! (I know exactly how many because I had to patch them all!) Had absolutely no clue silnylon is so delicate...and ordered the tyvek footprint for it immediately afterwards.
19 replies since Mar. 30 2012, 3:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply My Tarptent is DEAD!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions