2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ultralight P&S digital camera?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mobile1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2012, 6:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm searching for the lightest weight point & shoot digital camera that takes decent pictures.

The pictures from my Clap camera are fuzzy:
http://uncrate.com/stuff/superheadz-clap-camera/

This Delkin camera, at 3 ounces, could be a contender:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1319758473.html

Some of the Canon Elph cameras are under 5 ounces:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras

There are so many out there, and this technology changes rapidly.

Can anyone recommend cameras that are under 5 ounces?

Thanks for your help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.

But this would work.

CANON
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clap is plobably a velly good name for that camela ...

The Delkin is an "action" camera so better suited for "action" videos where a very wide lens captures the full surroundings and minimises camera shake
Don't expect good stills from it.

For care free shooting I reccomend the Panasonic ts2/3 or 4 if you can't find the other two. About 7oz with batt but shock/waterproof and with a decent wide to small tele lens.
If weight and size is more important, take a look at the Canon Elph 100 HS. Fast 2.8 lens (at the wide end) 28-112mm good for landscapes and portraits /candid shots
Just under 5oz , should be on special because it is discontinued.
Franco
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

paper and pencil

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another small one:
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/mame-cam-1.html
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Loon @ Apr. 17 2012, 6:32 am)

LOL... do they actually expect folks to use the itty-bitty viewfinder and the LCD on the back of that, or are those little rectangles only for decoration purposes? :p

They have another model that's 3g more at 8MP, for anyone interested: Mame Cam DX  Odds are the pictures are no better than an iPhone camera, although I have no data to back up that statement.  Just a hunch.

ETA: Out of my own morbid curiosity, I had to Google it more and see.  Sure enough, the pictures are about as good as you'd get from a screen-shot of cheap pen-video cam.  Look at this "blog review" and click on the sample photos to see.  8MP do little good when the photos are blurry enough to look an order-of-magnitude worse than my old 2MP camera took 12 years ago.

That's always the tradeoff with small cameras in general.  The technology improves, but optics are optics, and size in fact matters, which is why "big glass" is still important for the pros.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2012, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GBH
The problem I see with that Mame camera is that it could be hard to use with gloves on.
Another is that if you have it near your munchies you might just pop it in your mouth when tired or thinking of something else.
Franco
 Post Number: 8
CampingKirk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Loon @ Apr. 17 2012, 8:32 am)

Haha.

Looks like something from an SNL skit.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another ultralight route is multipurpose gear: smartphone (gps, camera and eBook reader), or a gps with a built-in camera (the new Garmin series?) or...?

My iPhone 4s weighs 140 grams, my PowerShot SX230 HS 223 gms, plus the 213 for my 60Csx plus whatever my flower guide and fiction paperbacks run.
 Post Number: 10
TimAZ Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2012, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are a couple I found in my research that are fairly light and of decent quality:

Canon PowerShot A2300 - 3.8 oz (camera only) - Lithium Ion battery
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c....ra.html

Nikon Coolpix 3300 - a "cool" 4.5 oz including battery and memory card! (Lithium Ion)

Sony Cybershot DSC W690 - 5oz (lithium ion)

Of the few reviews I read, the Sony rates the worst... and as far as the battery - many think they want AA for the trail - Realize a AA battery weighs near an ounce a piece, so cameras with AA's will add 2-3 oz in just battery weight.  A good Li battery can last much longer than most BP trips if not left on inadvertently.  Plus if you carry backup batteries for the AA, you have more battery weight between the two sets than all three of these cameras weigh!

The quality of these camera is so-so, so if you are not expecting professional quality results, these probably won't be your first choice!
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

6.3oz, but very good.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-C....&sr=1-1

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
10 replies since Apr. 07 2012, 6:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ultralight P&S digital camera?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions