2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cheap Ultra Light Quilt?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2012, 2:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know of a good Cheap ultralight (1lb) quilt that would work well for summer backpacking? My current bag is down 15F at 3lbs; way overkill for summer.

I think as long as it's comfortable to 50F, that would work, but I would like 40F as a safety. I guess for $50ish. Not really sure on prices. I could maybe get one sewed as well.

Thanks for your help!

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not gonna happen, not at that price point.  Cheap, light, down.  Pick 2.  Cheap down is mostly feathers, and not light.  To my way of thinking, a cheap, light, nice, quilt would cost about $300, maybe a bit less but I doubt it.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." áSteve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2012, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not under 1 lb but at 1 lbs 3 oz this :
GoLite UltraLite 800 Fill 1-Season Quilt (Regular)
could be worth a look at $125
Franco
 Post Number: 4
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2012, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Apr. 27 2012, 5:39 pm)
Not under 1 lb but at 1 lbs 3 oz this :
GoLite UltraLite 800 Fill 1-Season Quilt (Regular)
could be worth a look at $125
Franco

I forgot I got an email about this. Thanks for reminding me! I ended up getting the 1 season sleeping bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can pick up a few yards of M90 and some Climashield Apex 2.5 from Thru Hiker for about $70 and DIY one. áThese are high quality materials, and other than sewing around the perimeter, quilting is not needed when using Climashield Apex, so it should be an easy project.

I actually plan to do this same thing, hopefully in the next few weeks. This way I can cut the shape to the way that fits me best, and of course their is the coolness factor of doing it yourself. As long as I don't mess it up, I will replace my Hammock Gear 50F Top Quilt with my DIY one...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Apr. 29 2012, 9:56 am)
You can pick up a few yards of M90 and some Climashield Apex 2.5 from Thru Hiker for about $70 and DIY one. áThese are high quality materials, and other than sewing around the perimeter, quilting is not needed when using Climashield Apex, so it should be an easy project.

I actually plan to do this same thing, hopefully in the next few weeks. This way I can cut the shape to the way that fits me best, and of course their is the coolness factor of doing it yourself. As long as I don't mess it up, I will replace my Hammock Gear 50F Top Quilt with my DIY one...

Thanks for the links. My friends also wanted a lighter summer sleeping bag, but didn't have as much to spend. This should be a good place to get insulation.

--------------
5 replies since Apr. 27 2012, 2:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cheap Ultra Light Quilt?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions