2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Poncho as shelter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2012, 5:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there a poncho that converts to a 'real' shelter? I mean, one that has batwings and goes to the ground on the sides? I dig the poncho as an emergency shelter, but I'd like to find something that converts to a shelter against the wind, as well. I don't expect to not feel the wind, but to have protection against the lion's share.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2012, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe the SMD Gatewood Cape ?
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the cape looks like a tent that converts to a poncho.  It shows a person wearing it with a large pack, which it is sufficient to cover.  what if you don't have  a large pack?  is there a way to tie up the extra material.

And what do you wear if you have to go out in the rain to relieve yourself, given that you have now pitched your poncho
 Post Number: 4
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jun. 13 2012, 9:14 pm)
the cape looks like a tent that converts to a poncho.  It shows a person wearing it with a large pack, which it is sufficient to cover.  what if you don't have  a large pack?  is there a way to tie up the extra material.

And what do you wear if you have to go out in the rain to relieve yourself, given that you have now pitched your poncho

I'm working on both of those issues. I think I have a design that will work. As for having to 'go,' that extra garbage bag will do. As for the 'extra' material, I am contemplating a poncho design where one side (head or foot) of the  batwings can be snapped back and out of the way. The other side could be snapped beneath your pack, providing even better protection should it be windy.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 1:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a gatewood cape and a large poncho.  I prefer the poncho.  The gatewood in shelter mode, though a bit more stormworthy, for me is a bit cramped.  Poncho also offer greater set up flexibility.
 Post Number: 6
patricktt2020 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might try Mountain Laurel Designs for a poncho/tarp, it might be too small for your needs however.MLD has quality second to none, and there stuff is made here in the States. Unfortunately their wait time is a bit long if you're in a hurry.
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know someone who used to use a poncho and bivy (of the sleeping bag cover kind) as a primary shelter. I noticed that after one of our two night trips where it started raining at 2 pm while we were hiking, and stopped at 4 am, the poncho vanished, and on every subsequent trip he's had a tent.

I use ponchos for day hikes and haven't yet used one as an emergency shelter, but I like my tarps too much. More room. On really long all day outings, I usually throw in the tarp instead.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2012, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(patricktt2020 @ Jun. 19 2012, 10:30 am)
You might try Mountain Laurel Designs for a poncho/tarp, it might be too small for your needs however.MLD has quality second to none, and there stuff is made here in the States. Unfortunately their wait time is a bit long if you're in a hurry.

+1

I use an MLD poncho tarp with an MLD superlight bivy.  If there is a good rain a you need to batten down it can get a bit claustrophobic, but out here in AZ and for summer hikes in the Sierra this is not much of a problem.
 Post Number: 9
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

he Campmor/Equinox poncho-tarps are fantastic, but order a "long", (58 x 104, 9.5 oz., $69.)

Erected in a half-pyramid, this has been my primary shelter for 4 yrs., (I have 8.5 lineal ft. along the back wall to sleep in,) and, because I camp mostly above treeline in CO, it has kept me dry through the most violent wind-driven rain-storms you could ever imagine.

(After one storm above Conundrum HS, the rushing water dug 8" deep gulleys under my Mylar groundsheet, but my gear and I remained dry.)

Later, while walking up to the Hot Springs, I noticed campers in expensive ultralite tents, who were outside their tents literally wringing out their sleeping bags...

Think of it...9.5 oz. for your shelter AND rain gear, (that totally covers your pack.)
 Post Number: 10
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any opinions on the hammock shelter. I tried it and it doesn't suit my back but it does travel lighter than typical gear.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
9 replies since Jun. 13 2012, 5:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Poncho as shelter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions