2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ultra light and CHEAP wind blocker, Gear suggestion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Taegello Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 5:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone

I realized not too long ago that what I really need to compete my set of gear is a wind blocker which I never realized that I needed until I came across a circumstances where I was sweating, but getting cold due to heavy cold wind, but it was still hot from the sun. So I need something breathable and can block the wind. It would be nice if it could block the rain as well, but I have a rain jacket for that.

Anyways, all the windblocker out there are so expensive. I can't afford that with my student budget. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got a Marmot windbreaker for thirty bucks - 3 oz and packs into its own pocket. Nice and breathable, DWR, stands up to a light drizzle but isn't a rain shell. Of course, that was a couple-three years ago, but you can look on Sierra Trading Post any day, search for a wind shirt or windbreaker.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marmot Ion at STP is $48.95 at STP, but $31.82 with current 35% off coupon(sign up for the Dealflyer coupons they email you). The men's L is 5oz.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-....ed=true
 Post Number: 4
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2012, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ultra light and cheap - tyvek protective coats or coveralls (cut off the lower half) - can't get much cheaper.  The bright white color is the only negative.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2012, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for that. But is windblocker worth it or should I be getting something that can be used as both a windblocker and a rain jacket as well?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jun. 15 2012, 10:12 pm)
Marmot Ion at STP is $48.95 at STP, but $31.82 with current 35% off coupon(sign up for the Dealflyer coupons they email you). The men's L is 5oz.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-....ed=true

i don't think that 35% coupon is still going on... its only 25% coupon with orders above 75 dollars and more.
 Post Number: 7
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I said current, because it's current. As in expires today.

Sale Ends Today (MT)!

With your DealFlyer coupon, you save an extra 35% on the highest-priced eligible item in your cart:

Your price: $31.82

We may get different coupons at different times. I get them almost every day.
This one was for 35% off one item. Earlier this week it was 25-30-35% off depending on order total. A couple days before it was 30% off everything with free shipping. Then there's their specials of 40-45% off "9,000(useless that they can't sell) items" that come in between. Sometimes I'm tempted to put STP on the junk list. Usually I'm just tempted to see if they have my lightweight Smartwool PhDs in stock again, though...
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The other light and cheap option - DriDucks. Also a rain shell, but if you are going through brush or likely to snag it on anything, it is also flimsy. You have to keep it in a bag to pack it since it is susceptible to pack wear. But, it's very breathable, and also rain proof.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2012, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patagonia Houdini jacket is a nice one to check out. I've got one. It weighs only 3 or 4 oz and will take a lite rain.
 Post Number: 10
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to K-Mart n get their generic nylon wind breaker with a hood for $15.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2012, 1:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get the Dri-Ducks XXL Rain Jacket, (20$) It's so waterproof and breathable that it is the only jacket I carry 4  season backpacking and cross-country skiing.

Wearing a down sweater...Golite Cumulus...underneath the Dri-Ducks jacket takes me down to the coldest temps I encounter in Colorado, and I've often slept in my bag while wearing this combination...it brings the effective warmth of my 20* sleeping bag down to zero degrees.
 Post Number: 12
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you were already sweating without a windshirt, that will only make it worse. Granted, you will feel warmer but you'll also get wetter. If you add the shirt, you should dial down the exertion level. As much as I like DriDucks, they don't breathe as well as a true windshirt, but that is what I use. I normally wear a tightly woven hiking shirt which does pretty well as a windbreaker in itself. I only add the DriDucks if I've stopped and it's windy or it's also fairly cool and breezy (eg, mornings and evenings).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my Stoic Wraith, but I admit that if you don't mind a bit more weight there are cheaper alternatives.
 Post Number: 14
Drob23 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second the stoic wraith recommendation. Someone on backpackinglight.com did a breathability comparison between all wind shirts and found the wraith and Houdini to be the most breathable. These wind shirts will do fine in light rain due to the DWR coating, but any sort of actual rain will require rain protection. Wind shirts are awesome though, really light and provide a very functional layer when hiking in an exposed area.

As far as rain gear goes, Dri-ducks are favored by many for their lightweight and breathability, but tend to be fragile if snagged. Some people also like pancho's, which can be had for real cheap (and can double as a shelter, such as golite or MLD offerings). As far as WPB shells go, I'd look into the stoic vaporshell, it is made of an EVENT like material, and can be had for around $50 at backcountry.com, but this shell might be considered heavy by some.
13 replies since Jun. 15 2012, 5:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ultra light and CHEAP wind blocker
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions