2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Critique My Pack List< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
oracle5 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, first time posting but have been visiting the site for a while now. I just recently got into backpacking back in March of this year but I went head first into it and have made more than 10 trips this year.

My first trip my pack was around 50lbs and had everything you could ever want in it. I've made a lot of changes since then since my 3 season weight is 22lbs(with food and water for a 3 day hike) now and with winter gear around 27lbs(I know winter hasn't really hit for on my trips yet but I've been down to 35F). Where I'm at its pretty rare for the temperature to ever get below 20F in the winter so I'm not geared up for anymore than that.

Below is my current pack list and I'd appreciate it if you have any additional inputs. I'd love to break the 20lb barrier.

Pack
-Gossamer Gear G4(17oz)

Sleeping
-Marmot Nanowave 45(3 season, less than 2lbs)
-North Face Cat's Meow 20(winter, less than 3lbs)
-Gossamer Gear Nightlight sleeping pad(also is 'frame' for pack)

Tent
-Eureka Spitfire 1(replaced factory stakes with titanium ones, less than 3lbs)

Raingear
-cheap Coleman poncho(not emergency types, I also use it as my ground cloth for the tent)

Navigation
-tiny globe compass
-Garmin 450T with lithium batteries(only take this if I'm trying to find something like a waterfall, same batteries as camera and headlamp, around 9oz)
-laminated map of trail/area

Clothing
-Bandana(also use as water filter for the big stuff)
-1 tshirt(worn, 3 season only)
-1 fishing shirt(worn)
-1 pair of army style pants(worn, heavy but thorns don't poke through and since its worn I don't notice the weight as much)
-1 pair cotton socks(worn, 2 pair during winter)
-hiking boots(I know there is weight savings possible here but I step on too many snakes to change yet)
-1 pair of lightweight gym shorts(3 season)
-1 pair of lightweight flip flops
-1 pair top and bottom insulated underwear(winter)
-1 pair top and bottom of Marmot's wicking base layer underwear(winter)
-1 belt
-1 safari hat(hit or miss on whether I decide to wear it)
-fleece gloves(winter)

Safety
-first aide kit(bandages, qtips)
-1oz germex
-signal mirror
-spot 2 elb with lithium batteries(on belt loop)
-Fox 40 micro whistle
-compact 0.380 pistol with bullets(give me flack all you want but I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it, about 1lb all together)

Fun
-collapseable fishing pole(including extra line and hooks, very lightweight)

Fire
-exotac nanostriker
-3 cotton balls
-1 box of coleman waterproof matches
-1 zippo(don't want to switch to a bic but I'm up for other options)

Cooking
-snowpeak 600 titanium mug(multipurpose for sure)
-evernew titanium alcohol stove(winter only or during burn ban)
-4oz alcohol in plastic bottle for stove(winter only or during burn ban)
-snowpeak titanium short spork

Knives
-Victorinox Swisschamp(lightest I could find and have what I need for fishing)
-Esee 3(on belt, not willing to give this up)

Electronics
-Nikon digital camera with lithium batteries(same batteries as headlamp)
-Fenix HL21 headlamp with lithium battery(same batteries as camera, less than 2oz w/o battery)
-spare lithium batteries for spot 2 elb(aaa) and camera/headlamp/gps(aa)
-both my work and personal cellphones(different providers)

Water
-potable aqua iodine tablets

Wordly Items
-fishing license
-driver's license
-cash
-Jeep keys

Other
-trash bag
-60ft of paracord(10ft is in different lengths for tying various things while the 50ft is for hanging my food away form the bears and coons)
-1oz tube of sunscreen
-tube of carmex
-toilet paper(pretty sure you won't convince me to ditch this)
-safety sunglasses
-0.85oz toothpaste
-toothbrush(sawed off all I could of handle)
-dry bag for hanging food in

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
srmecbp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could knock off a 1 lb by going to a different 20 degree bag and get more room in your pack (down bag). Could lose close to 2 lbs by going to a tarp instead of tent. You've got a lot of electronics - GPS, Spot, 2 phones, ... if you really want to get the pack weight down you are going to have to do something with those. Ditch the flip flops. Everyone is different, but I bet you could get rid of one of your 2 sets of underwear. There are a lot of versatile baselayers that would cover your needs down to 20 degrees.

I've been hiking all over North America for 30 years and have never run into a situation where I would need a handgun, but as long as you are carrying it legally... Between that, fishing pole, and extra knife you've probably got 2 pounds. You could probably squeeze out a couple ounces by getting some dyneema or spectra cord in place of the paracord, but that will be minimal.

I think you can get to 20 lbs, but will need to make some sacrafices that in my opinion (not knowing your skill and comfort level) would not be unsafe or uncomfortable.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(srmecbp @ Oct. 09 2012, 12:21 pm)
You could knock off a 1 lb by going to a different 20 degree bag and get more room in your pack (down bag). Could lose close to 2 lbs by going to a tarp instead of tent. You've got a lot of electronics - GPS, Spot, 2 phones, ... if you really want to get the pack weight down you are going to have to do something with those. Ditch the flip flops. Everyone is different, but I bet you could get rid of one of your 2 sets of underwear. There are a lot of versatile baselayers that would cover your needs down to 20 degrees.

I've been hiking all over North America for 30 years and have never run into a situation where I would need a handgun, but as long as you are carrying it legally... Between that, fishing pole, and extra knife you've probably got 2 pounds. You could probably squeeze out a couple ounces by getting some dyneema or spectra cord in place of the paracord, but that will be minimal.

I think you can get to 20 lbs, but will need to make some sacrafices that in my opinion (not knowing your skill and comfort level) would not be unsafe or uncomfortable.

Do you have any suggestions on bags without spending $300?

I agree I need to ditch one phone and I already only carry the GPS for waterfall hunting when I'm getting way off trail.

I know I need to part with the flip flops. I think I definitely can for winter hikes and save a little weight there, I'll have to think on it for warmer times.

And I know I could ditch the fishing pole but I do a lot of fishing while hiking so its really a package deal when I go.

I have been debating going for a tarp with bug net over the tent. Then the worry is a rattlesnake wanting to cuddle and I have enough trouble with them coming to campfires when its cooler at night. Also considered a hammock but most of those I look at weigh as much as my tent.

As far as the handgun I've not shot anything but it made me feel a lot lot better when I had a mountain lion visit camp 3 times on one trip before he finally left me alone. My state game and fish though claims there are none in the state. Honestly I'd prefer I never have to use it when hiking on human or animal but I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And as far as my skill level I've only been hiking since March but have done quite a lot since then. I've camped and hunted since I could walk so very at home in the woods. I still learn something on every hike though. In fact that's pretty much how most things left my bag. if I didn't use it on a trip(excluding things like first aide) I didn't take it the next time.

If I had to say I had a speciality in anything it would be fire. Been a pyro since I was 5 and discovered I could make them with a magnifying glass on a sunny day. Then I found an old bic lighter with no fluid and started making them with the sparks. And even now I start 95% of my fires with a fire steel and have started them in pouring down rainstorms like I did just this past weekend on a trip(granted I busted out the zippo for it).
 Post Number: 5
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As to your gun... I think they're fine to have in the woods, but I'd suggest a more appropriate caliber.  S&W makes a lightweight .44 mag that would be much more capable.  That .380 will just piss off an animal.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 11:56 am)
As to your gun... I think they're fine to have in the woods, but I'd suggest a more appropriate caliber.  S&W makes a lightweight .44 mag that would be much more capable.  That .380 will just piss off an animal.

Are you talking about the model 629 revolver or something else? That one is 4 times the weight of my ruger. If they have something more comparable in weight I'd definitely be interested.

Might not be bad to consider ruger lcr in 357mag.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp....rView_Y

Before you say too much money, ask yourself what's your life worth.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 1:25 pm)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp....rView_Y

Before you say too much money, ask yourself what's your life worth.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bought some new items and a postal scale for some more precise measuring.

Base Pack Weight(3 season): 11.8lbs

Total Pack Weight for 3 Day Hike(3 Season): 19.8lbs(drop of over 2lbs, finally broke 20lbs and even still have the gun and both phones)

Base Pack Weight(winter): 12.4lbs

Total Pack Weight for 3 Day Hike(winter): 20.5lbs(drop of over 6lbs)

Thanks guys, next stop 15lbs for 3 days.
 Post Number: 10
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok.  Make it light and durable and practical and appropriate for the use intended.

End of critique 'cause I ain't haulin' it.

HYOH, entirely.

Drake
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oracle5 @ Oct. 12 2012, 6:25 pm)
Bought some new items and a postal scale for some more precise measuring.

Base Pack Weight(3 season): 11.8lbs

Total Pack Weight for 3 Day Hike(3 Season): 19.8lbs(drop of over 2lbs, finally broke 20lbs and even still have the gun and both phones)

Base Pack Weight(winter): 12.4lbs

Total Pack Weight for 3 Day Hike(winter): 20.5lbs(drop of over 6lbs)

Thanks guys, next stop 15lbs for 3 days.

You inspired me.  Yesterday I picked up a new Ruger LCP 380
 Post Number: 12
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://xdspistol.com/

What's a .380 going to stop? Rabid squirrels? ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, you seen the size of our squirrels?

Actually Ray, I am tired of lugging 2+ pounds of Les Baer .45 around. I found myself leaving it at home and decided the little LCP would be a pistol I would throw in my pocket every day.  Better to have my mouse gun with me, than my .45 in the safe.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't personally talk about guns online but I hear what you are saying.

Last week Dave and I finished a section of the PCT where the Station Fire had it closed. The week before a body was found on the trail, gang-related they said. I am not saying that we were carrying but it sure seemed like a good spot to...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oracle5 @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:03 pm)
Raingear
-cheap Coleman poncho(not emergency types, I also use it as my ground cloth for the tent)

Navigation
-tiny globe compass

-1 pair cotton socks(worn, 2 pair during winter)

Water
-potable aqua iodine tablets

Perhaps not precisely what you're wanting, but a few comments to add to what you already have gotten.

Iodine isn't really as effective against giardia as chlorine dioxide is, and not at all effective against crypto - also has health risks associated with it, if used long term.

Using the poncho as the ground cloth will still put holes in, I'd bet.

Tiny globe compass - wow, a challenge if you're really trying to navigate.

Cotton socks? Why not wool or something that won't hold water/sweat? (I tried to use some cotton athletic socks for hiking a while back - how anyone does is beyond me, they butchered my feet. Wool or synthetic does such a good job with moisture management that I never blister anymore.)

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16
Eric803 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About the gun.
If there arent grizzlies or moose, 380 or 9mm is fine I would say. Personally I Carry a .357 snub nose, Weighed it the other day and surprised it was only 2.5 lbs loaded. 357 is a huge step up from 380, 9mm, or .38 for minimal extra weight and about as compact as you can get to still hit something. Granted with a 2 in barrel, you better be on top of them.

Also to think about... If you have to use it for defense against a person, a semi will leave a case behind with your firing pin's fingerprint in it. I have heard all new guns have their pin fingerprint scanned and on file with FBI. I don't advocate breaking the law. But not having to explain your judgment to use deadly force is worth the most expensive lawyer in the world.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, your thought process scares me.

There was just a body found on a trail Dave and I hiked earlier this month. Did they run into you?

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ultra-light this ain't.  Getting pretty heavy, actually.

Not a "thought process" at all and there is an awful lot of that going around.  Sign of the times - 2 pound triggers, 2" barrels, fragmentation rounds, forensic considerations, William J. Badass business card with the name redacted...wannabe's...but wannabe what?

The only good news is that most of 'em would rather type than hike.

Gear list, huh?

Whatever.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drake @ Oct. 27 2012, 8:05 am)
The only good news is that most of 'em would rather type than hike.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Damned straight!

--------------
18 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 6:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Critique My Pack List
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions