2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 7 or 8 Pound loss, Gear List< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Senk420 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 6:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it took some scrounging and deal-making but I've made a pretty dramatic loss to my base weight over the winter. Its still missing a couple small items like water and fuel bottles but here is the brunt of it.

Senk's Gear List

Now I just need to lose the 10+ pounds I put on my gut and get out on the trail.

--------------
Cheers.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks pretty good. What part of the country do you plan to hike in?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in Southern Idaho so I've got a lot of different options with a wide variety of landscapes. Deserts to the South of me and Mountains to the North. I'll be hiking in the Owyhees and along the Snake River during the spring until the snow melts up north, then I have an 84 mile thru hike of the Weiser River Trail that I hope to do sometime in June. Plus a bunch of weekenders and overnighters throughout the summer and fall.

--------------
Cheers.

Post Number: 4
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a nice looking list.  Based on my experiences, be weary of the GSI telescoping foon.  I had one break eating mac and cheese of all things.  Since you aren't carrying any kindling(vaseline soaked cotton balls, etc.), you could ditch the firesteel and bring some stormproof matches, or another mini bic.  I also carry a back up water treatment, either Aqua Mira repacked in small dropper bottles or pack a few tablets in with your first aid kit.  Also, depending on what your water sources will be like and how many days you will be out, you could consider leaving the syringe behind.  And what about the iPhone charger?  Is it solar?  Just my own opinions/preferences.  Great job on losing that much pack weight.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the tips AZ! The water in/along the Snake and Weiser Rivers can be pretty silty so I think the syringe will be a must. The charger is just a small battery pack, but i am looking at a Brunton solar charger/batter pack  that weights about 4 ounces more and has decent reviews. I'm hopping Sierra Trading post has one of their 45% coupons soon to pick that up.

The weather is starting to break here so I'm hoping to to do some "shakedown" hikes soon.

--------------
Cheers.

Post Number: 6
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good list...nice graphics too!
I would add some matches, I've had lighters fail...:)
Dee

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to go through this exercise.

Regarding tablets... make sure you know how they respond to cold water temps. Some may take up to 12 hours to disinfect cold water.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you need protection from wolves in Idaho??? I've never been there.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never been fortunate enough to see a Wolf in the wild so I'm going to say no. From what I've read the likely hood of a wolf attack on humans is extremely poor. I'm more worried about ticks.

--------------
Cheers.

Post Number: 10
T1962 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CenAZwalker @ Feb. 15 2013, 1:12 pm)
 Since you aren't carrying any kindling(vaseline soaked cotton balls, etc.), you could ditch the firesteel and bring some stormproof matches, or another mini bic.  

He said he's got sanitizer in his toiletries, which works really well as a fire starting aid.
 Post Number: 11
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(T1962 @ Mar. 29 2013, 3:41 pm)

(CenAZwalker @ Feb. 15 2013, 1:12 pm)
 Since you aren't carrying any kindling(vaseline soaked cotton balls, etc.), you could ditch the firesteel and bring some stormproof matches, or another mini bic.  

He said he's got sanitizer in his toiletries, which works really well as a fire starting aid.

Good point, I missed that.
 Post Number: 12
tylert27 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That cool Senk420 that you are from Idaho. I actually just was living in Rexburg. The Snake River is amazing for fly-fishing. I think that area is one of the best places I've ever heard of go. Do you fish at all on the Snake River?
 Post Number: 13
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Mar. 11 2013, 12:27 am)
Do you need protection from wolves in Idaho??? I've never been there.

You don't need protection from wolves anywhere. They won't bother you.
12 replies since Feb. 13 2013, 6:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 7 or 8 Pound loss
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions