2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Considering Bulk as well as weight, Sharing information about space in the p< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RobertGuild Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have always paid a premium for light weight gear but, especially in high desert environments,  bulk is a huge issue. I have had trouble fitting a tent, a sleeping bag, extra water, and food in a light weight pack.

I am considering the Big Sky Soul for weight but bulk in the pack is more important than weight.  I prefer a tent to a tarp.  Does anyone have a suggestion about the best tent to minimize use of available space in the pack?

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
:cool:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you're not wanting a tarp, a tarptent would be the next option if you use trekking poles. A Skyscape Trekker or Lunar Solo from Six Moon Designs or the Contrail or Sublite from Tarptent or you could do a net tent with tarp like the Cricket from MLD would all pack a bit smaller than the Soul.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobertGuild @ Mar. 15 2013, 11:59 pm)
I prefer a tent to a tarp.  Does anyone have a suggestion about the best tent to minimize use of available space in the pack?

What is your definition of a "tent" in this context?  Is the criteria that it's fully enclosed? Does it have to have its own dedicated tent poles?  Do you expect it to be free-standing or close to it?

Imo, the easiest way to minimize the size of a tent is to get rid of the poles.  If you hike with hiking poles, consider one of the Tarptents or a Lighheart if you want something that's fully enlosed with a floor, doors, etc.  Single-wall silnylon tents also pack small -- I think silnylon packs smaller than netting and much smaller than cuben.  (My new cuben Trailstar weighs less than my 2-person silnylon tarp but packs about 4x as big.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not often discussed because it is a very "niche" product is the Tarptent Sublite.
Made from soft Tyvek it is a great tent for really hot or humid areas where heavy rain or high winds are not likely to happen.
Breathes very well and as cool inside as under a solid shade (most tents are hotter inside then outside under the sun)
It is a solo shelter for trekking pole users but can be used with "substitute" poles also offered by TT.

http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html
19oz , 14x4" packed...
(I look after TT in Australia..)
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you thought about packing your tent outside of your pack?  Great advantages!

1.  Increase available pack space -- or heck, maybe even a chance to downsize you pack a bit!

2.  Increased convenience.  To me, this part is even better!  Say you arrive at camp and it's raining already.  With tent stashed outside your pack -- there is no need at all to open up your pack and exposing it to the rain.  Even better, when it comes time to strike camp, you can pack and seal up your backpack entirely under the safety of your tent.  After that, you can don on your rain jacket, take down your tent, lash it to the outside of your pack, and be ready to go!  No worries about opening up your backpack to the rain and stuffing a wet, muddy tent inside!

Most all packs have strap(s) that you can use.  And most every UL pack has a top strap.  A tarp or tarptent is packed into a smallish loaf that's easy to strap.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am with Ben here.
I can't remember the last time I had a tent inside the pack.
Always across the top or inside the "front pocket" ( the one at the back....)
When most tents where bulky and heavy that was a no no because it just unbalanced your load.
At 19oz or around there you will not notice the difference having the tent at the back/top  or not...

I left it out of the stuff sack so it can be seen.
5 replies since Mar. 15 2013, 11:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Considering Bulk as well as weight
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions