2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: got it, pack weight down< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 4:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well by golly I think after 3 or 4 years I finally got what I wanted. Today I weighed my full pack, everything except actual food and water and it weighed in at a respectable 10 lbs, 1 oz. That is with my smartwool mid weight base layers. I plan on swapping those out  with some silk weight base layers, so I think it will drag me just below 10 lbs.     This is for my 3 season trips of course..I expect my 4th season to be a smidgen bit heavier depending on the temps..have to add down jacket/pants lower temp quilt. Every trip I've gone on I have come home and changed things up a bit. It's funny because every trip I have gone on, I have been satisfied with what I used, I just felt I wanted less weight on my back and less things to worry about packing/unpacking and keep track of. My first time getting back out after a bout a  15 year hiatus, my pack weighed close to 40 lbs..I thought, wow, ok, this is a bit heavy but not a problem. Since then I have done what I thought necessary, and now today it weighs 10 lbs. AND, I am happier. I also have enough lightweight gear for 2 of my friends to come along anytime they want and not have to worry about anything but food, gear wise I got em covered, lol.  Now I can't wait for my next outting, probably in a few weeks..maybe even make it my first solo?  Just ranting and raveing because I'm excited and you people understand more about these feelings then most everyday weird people that don't hike.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's great.  It is very liberating to get a pack weight that low.  Do you have a gear list you can link to?  Yes, I am one of those people who enjoy looking at others gear lists.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sorry, not really anything I can link to, but I can jot them down here...

ULA CDT pack
MLD Cuben Patrol Shelter
BPW bug bivy
Golite 1 season down quilt
Thermarest Neoair(small)
sawyer filter
DIY cookset/stove
Ruta Lacora headlamp
Ursack
simple first aid kit
simple fire starter kit..mini lighter/a few matches/cotton balls w/vaseline
lightweight merino wool socks
UA boxer brief
shorts/tee shirt..spare to sleep in

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh yeah...also Smartwool mid weight baselayer, top/bottom but I am conseidering going silk or silkweight baselayers.
And I do not yet have this, but I am going to order it next week, so I included it in the weight..Sierra Designs Cloud rainjacket/pants
Also, included with the sawyer, I have 3 empty soft sided 32 liter water bags( 2 platys to fill, 1 nalgene to use dirty water to filter.
I also forgot to mention a nice little pillow case~~ 1 ounce.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and forgot to mention also...TP and whisp toothbrush...
and trash bag to line my pack..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice list.  I have never seen the Ruta Lacora headlamp, looks pretty cool, and light.  See, that is why I enjoy looking at peoples gear lists.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is your stove alcohol or esbit?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

esbit..I got the idea from Stick..sticksblog.... http://sticksblog.com/2012/06/09/sul-cook-kit/
I use a 450 titanium mug.

I love this set up because I found I can use twigs also instead of esbit tabs, or I can break an esbit in 2 pieces and use some twigs if needed to get my water to boil. Breaking the esbit in 2 allows me to get 2 meals off 1 tab..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the ruta lacora headlamp is nice so far. Its pretty bright and I like that I can clip it on a hat brim..or clip it on my waist(supposedly this is good for night hiking as opposed to having it come from above your head..something about shadows), or wear it as a headband with the strap. So I like the options and the weight..1 ounce. It uses 2 lithium CR 2032 batteries..so the spares are small and light weight also. I have been useing it at home at night to read just to test out the longetivity and brightness of it..so far I am convinced it will work perfect for me.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  I have been using Esbit a lot more the past couple months, I'm really starting to like it.  I don't find the smell as harsh as some people do, and since I never burn more than half a 14g tab at a time, the residue isn't much of an issue for me.  I've even done a couple cookless trips this summer and saved even more weight.  I thought going without hot coffee in the morning would bother me but I just mixed up some instant and drank it luke warm.  Not the best but OK.  How are you liking tarping?
 Post Number: 11
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

just in case you are looking for it..
the name is Ruta Locura. (Crazy Route)
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spell check..thanks.   :-)

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so...are you going to give up that nice new HEAVY MH tent you were gushing about a few months ago  :D

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jul. 30 2013, 9:01 am)
so...are you going to give up that nice new HEAVY MH tent you were gushing about a few months ago  :D

Haha..(gush gush) I still love that tent..and my 5 others. No. I will be keeping that. Figure my kids can use it..or it can be a loaner for a friend if someone decides to come out with me.  I still have my other Mt Hardwear(Helion 2) also..which I too, love. Those 2 tents are great for my kids or friends...or myself if I choose to use a tent.  I can't bring myself to sell any of my tents..I always think there will come a time when I can use one of them...

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I have a Hubba Hubba I still absolutely love.  Actually have the rain fly herein my office as I am sending it back...old orange one...the insides turn to goo after a few years and they warranty them...(they're well aware of the issue).

4 lb tent, groundbreaker in 2005...set the world on it's ears but is now a stone age relic.

hey, Aug 16th we're doing the first 26 miles of the Northville Placid Trail....Me and 2 guys that have done a few sections, but we are meeting up from various points, (NYC for one).

come on up!

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are u meeting up? In the city????  Hmmmm...is it a weekend thing?  Pm me or email me with some info...

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pm sent

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

??? nothing recieved yet.....

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the MLD Patrol Shelter and the Bear Paw Wilderness bug bivy.  It's an awesome set up and the parole shelter packed with steaks, guylines and sack weighs 8 ounces and the BPW bug bivy weighs 9 ounces. So 17 ounces total for my awesome versitile shelter.  I am loving it. Will try to post some picture tomorrow if I get a chance. I have not had the oppertunity to use it in the field yet, but I have already pitched it a dozen times in my yard...and I believe I am gonna love this set up and use it for many years.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

9 lbs 5 ounces with patagonia capeline 1 silkweight base layers, Sierra Designs Cloud rain shell and Patagonia Houdini wind shirt. swapped out the vaseline cotton swabs for quick tinder tabs. I eliminated the spare UA boxer briefs and shorts(I can sleep without underwear in the cap 1s)  and do without the spare shorts also. I also eliminated the stuff sack for my clothes..I just use the pillow case instead. That should just about complete my set up. I am probably going out next weekend because I need to get out before I snap and lose it..can't take the crowds from my commute and work in city every day.  It's really disgusting!  So it took lots of time and tinkering, trips, research, money, packing, unpacking, repacking, thinking, reading, thinking more and determination but I have finally got it. I hoisted my pack up with 1 finger to put it on my back and I was amazed. This is gonna be fun!

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 21
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Aug. 25 2013, 1:58 pm)
I need to get out before I snap and lose it

I fully support this plan. Let us know how you like the Patrol. I'm rethinking my shelter and that one is a contender as well as the TrailStar, maybe a bivy of some kind or a TarpTent. Options, options... I'm not planning on making the switch until next spring though.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here are some pictures I took of the Patrol Shelter set up without the bivy and some with the Bear Paw designs bug bivy, in my back yard.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update~~~ I switched out the garbage bag liner for one of the cheap light weight clear plastic liner bags from MLD. I also switched to Gossamear Gear liteweight nitetime foam pad from my small neoair.  The reason for this is a few. It's a few ounces lighter. I don't have to worry about air leaks and finding and repairing them. I also use it as a pad for the back of my pack(inside). I can also use it as a sitpad on breaks if needed, or even around camp.  If caught in a lightning storm situation, I can ditch the pack and assume the position on the foam pad for added safety.  And...say what u want, but this pad is not bad..its actually kind of comfortable for me.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So with the above changes plus adding my sierra designs down booties and patagonia down vest I repacked my gear in the pack and it weighed in for 9 lbs 6 ounces.  This is going to be what I bring for my late October/ early November trip. Why the booties? They are so comfortable to slip my feet in when done hiking. I also ordered myself a new quilt. Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 40. It's a lightweight synthetic quilt that weighs only 1 ounce more then my GoLite 1 season down quilt. I figure with the Patrol Shelter and Backpacking where I go, NY, NJ and PA...the weather is usually wet, damp, muggy, humid, raining or snowing, so why not try a synthetic quilt for some exta protection. Everything I have researched and read led me to decide on this.  So I guess as I use this system I will see how it works out for me. Hoovering right around 9 lbs. 6 ounces is very liberating indeed. Unfotunatly, due to work, my plans for an over nighter keep getting pushed back!! Man, I can't wait for early retirement!! I am looking now for the weekend of September 14 to get out and give this a test run.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forgot to mention that I also plan on ditching the Ursack...7 or 8 ounces. I got myself an UL Critter bag from Lukesultralite, weighs .5 ounce.  I guess I will employ the PCT method of bear bagging. This difference in weight is included in the above update of 9 lbs 6 ounces.  I am considering leaving the down booties home, since I have a spare pair of socks to sleep in. I could always just remove the insole of my trail runners and loosen the lace system. That would shave about another 8 ounces out of my base weight. We will see, not sure just yet.

--------------

author unknown
24 replies since Jul. 13 2013, 4:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply got it
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions