2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New to Forums, sleeping bag help., Hello!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hydouk Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 1:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New to forums, figured i'd say hello

I'm getting into ultralight camping. been doing some research and I have a lot of good idea's as to the gear I want.

my only problem is finding the "right" sleeping bag for me and my girlfriend.

We live in california. Expecting to go backpacking through, Big Sur, Yosemite, and Sequoia. to start. we love to travel so utah, nevada, arizona, oregan, etc are not too far fetched for us.

What we think we want at this point. (btw im 6')

We would like a sleeping bag that can zip together with another sleeping bag. (so two of the same ones?)

3 seasons

as close to 3 lb's as possible realistically

good for 15*'s

and under $170

lower volume the better obviously

I'm open to the idea of replacing a nice shell with down.

so suggestions towards a tough breathable shell that i can stuff with down would be appreciated too.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For a light-weight down bag for backpacking and camping expect to pay over $300-$400 per bag.  Google Kelty, Marmot, REI, & Big Agnes and Sierra Designs to get a good selection, for a medium weight bag and the price range the bags would be in.
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 1:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious...
You state "3 season" then "good to 15"  
I expect you mean 15F, if so that is not exactly "3 season"  (?)
 Post Number: 4
GunnyWebb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sleeping bags have three factors.
Light
Cheap
Warm

You can have any two.

Save your money and buy a real 850 down 400-500 dollar bag. I used to laugh at people that spent $500 on a sleeping bag. That is until I slept in one.
Nice thing about high end bags like Western Mountaineering, they will take a bag apart, clean and restuff one of their bags for $70. So you buy a bag, use it for 5 years, spend $70 and you have a brand new $500 bag. Try that with a $200 bag. You just buy a new bag every few years. Long term, you actuallly break even or come out saving money.
 Post Number: 5
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW - I don't think hauling around 3 lbs of sleeping bag constitutes ultralight camping.

...or you can opt for a down quilt to save a bunch of weight and a few dollars (vs. 2 high-quality down bags). I shed over 20 oz by converting from a Marmot Sawtooth down bag to an Enlightened Equipment Revelation X Long Wide 20 degree quilt.
You can have one of the cottage manufacturers like EE build a double quilt for you so you don't have to hassle with trying to get 2 bags to zip together. You just have to deal with who get the majority of the covers as you're tossing & turning.
 Post Number: 6
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An option is to buy used and try  to score a couple WM apache sleeping bags.
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got my GoLite Adrenaline 800FP 0* for $176. Let people know you're looking, ask for codes, save your money, strike when a good deal comes along.

Oh, and Franco... I consider myself a 3-season backpacker -- I rarely go out in summer...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Aug. 24 2013, 1:55 am)
Just curious...
You state "3 season" then "good to 15"
I expect you mean 15F, if so that is not exactly "3 season" (?)

we call that spring and late fall around here

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
7 replies since Aug. 23 2013, 1:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New to Forums, sleeping bag help.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions