2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thesis Project Survey on Gear Design< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
smmaddox Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 1:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a Master's of Industrial Design student at Georgia Tech and I am doing my thesis on Ultralight Backpacking Gear Design.

I have created a survey with some very early concepts and I would love feedback and responses. Keep in mind that these are early prototypes and concepts, so assume that they are all feasible and added weight is negligible.

To take the survey please go to the link below:
Backpacking Gear Design Survey
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a bit of feedback, if you don't mind. Heck, I'll offer it anyway, and not charge you a thing.

Better than others, in relation to what a pack weighs, or how it functions, is not some sort of competition that occurs in the crowd I hang with.  One person wants to carry 10#s, and another likes to carry 45, that is not a judgement on anyone.

I had 2 friends who wanted to see if they could go out for a weekend with only 7#s, including food and fuel.  They tried to get me involved, but I am not going there.  If I had enough pockets to carry all of my gear and leave the pack at home, would it be more comfortable?  Hopefully, people will grow out of games like this.  Backpacking, even for a weekend, is about peaceably enjoying the outdoors, at least it is to me.  I look for serenity, not a way to be better than my cohorts.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
SapperDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second ol-zeke.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those statements/questions at the bottom of page 1 show you really have no idea what backpacking is all about.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with the others.  I really don't understand the emphasis on "improving" and doing "better" than others.  I'm very conscious about gear and pack weight so that I can hike more comfortably.  I don't do it to hike faster or further or compete against other hikers.  If you're under the impression that's what "ultralight" philosophy is about, I think you're mistaken.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How often have you backpacked, and how far? If you have, you will realize that its not a competition. Its a personal  endeavor, set with personal goals and accomplishments.
Don't set yourself up for failure. Pick another topic.
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You ask a series of questions offering different concepts/choices and ask which we prefer (such as Q7), but then there is no place to record an answer. So you don't have any selections from among the concepts you are presenting, which would seem to be central to your inquiry. =/

I agree with others that UL, or any aspect of backpacking, isn't about doing "better" than others. It can be about having the comfort, energy, and ability to go farther or higher, but even that isn't measured as "better."

People who are into UL are fairly advanced as far as understanding weight distribution and such, they won't need visual aids to show where heavy items should go. And they certainly don't want to add the weight of electronic sensors and read-out screens to show how "light" their load is...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
smmaddox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For clarification:  The questions where you feel that the survey is emphasizing a competitive aspect of backpacking are there to help prove a theory about the personalities of ultralighters.  I do not want to disclose what I am trying to prove but each question is there for a reason.  This survey is part of some initial research to see how the community of ultralighters respond and are drawn to these kinds of questions and products.  Additionally, These ideas will mostly be targeted at novice ultralighters and lightweight backpackers but expet input will help create a better overall design.  Also please assume that weight would not be added due to sensors, pockets, etc.  I am just testing the concept.

As for the questions on the survey's functionality: To select a concept you can click the image.
 Post Number: 9
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just filled out the survey and see your clarification here about the competitive aspect, but still, I think most anyone who has spent a decent bit of time outdoors (and most people looking to transition to ultralight have likely done so) will be put off by the nature of the competition-based questions in your survey.

And a lot of the concepts you're testing out are examples of some of the very things that many people  go into the woods to get away from (the distractions of overexposure to the latest technology and gadgets).

Unless the entire survey is to test a theorized result that backpackers aren't competitive and don't really need  these concepts, I think you've missed the proverbial switchback.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Best", "Better than others"? Blah. blah. blah. (with all due respect)

Why not just pull out the rulers and measure each other?

FAIL.

Go run your rats in some other maze? Maybe one of those "Adventure" sites where such genitalia measuring IS a part of the game. There's a bunch out of Texas that trashed a Colorado wilderness that would fit this to a T, if they've not been put out of business over that.
 Post Number: 11
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 04 2014, 3:37 pm)
Why not just pull out the rulers and measure each other?

And we could have an app that shows how we measure up compared to all our friends and our packs could have a display that shows each hiker's measurement!

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smmaddox @ Mar. 04 2014, 1:17 pm)
For clarification:  The questions where you feel that the survey is emphasizing a competitive aspect of backpacking are there to help prove a theory about the personalities of ultralighters.  I do not want to disclose what I am trying to prove but each question is there for a reason.  This survey is part of some initial research to see how the community of ultralighters respond and are drawn to these kinds of questions and products.  Additionally, These ideas will mostly be targeted at novice ultralighters and lightweight backpackers but expet input will help create a better overall design.  Also please assume that weight would not be added due to sensors, pockets, etc.  I am just testing the concept.

What's a "novice ultralighter"?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This isn't a for a thesis. This is a marketing survey. I used to work in the industry, and this person is basically doing an online focus group -- we're an opinionated, experienced, tightly grouped demographic.

I used to recruit people for focus groups, and I would run the sound in the 'dark room,' where the 'scientists' study the 'rats.'

They would ask these very same questions about how their product, 'makes them feel.'

Seems to me a designer would be fishing for your opinion on statements like, 'It's important to me that my backpack is waterproof first, then light,' or, 'I would rather wear a bright colored backpack.' Not some vague, broad-stroke, 'touchy-feely' notion like, and I quote:

I am the best

Really?

It (do trolls have gender?) asked the same question twice on the opening page, changing it slightly.

Don't be fooled, guys.

Now, on another vein: There is a form of competitive backpacking -- orienteering. Usually day-long events, I suppose it may be done over one or two nights. It's often done as a small team sport, though I suppose it just might  feasibly be that a (ahem) burgeoning market for solo competitive orienteering enthusiasts is chomping at the bit to swallow what this guy's shoveling.

They'll all three have a great time.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went through the whole survey and gave completely randomized answers to the questions.  Hope that didn't screw you up. :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2014, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Took the survey but almost all answers were - "strongly disagree."
Like others here, came away convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about. Your questions seem to indicate you are completely clueless about backpacking.

Interesting though about your "competition" agenda. Having done the PCT, agree that there is indeed some competition among long distance hikers. When having to do 25+ miles a day, often there was the thought - "I would like to stop here but, if I do, Stinky Shorts and Almost Blonde will pass me by...Got to keep going to X lake." BTW, anything you are selling here would be of no help - would make no difference.

Also interesting, gear (what worked/what failed) was always a hot dinner topic on the trail...Everything dissected and compared nightly. Of course, none of us would even think about touching any of this gismo gear BS type crapola. (Too direct for you?)

Everybody I met knew better and were well-educated as to weight, packs, tarps, etc. (BTW, who are you trying to target again?) IMHO, long-distance UL hikers are the most experienced hikers around...(at least the ones who successfully managed more than 1000 actual trail miles.)...experience counts here. Maybe you should get out from behind your desk, put on your hiking boots, and do a few 100 miles before assaulting us here with this laughable drivel.
PCT Trail name - Ansel

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 16
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have You put this survey on any of the Ultra light forums. As you would get a better response as those sites have far more ulta lighters than this site does. Go over and put it on backpackinglight.com. See how they answer your questions. Having taken several college classes on how to write surveys you seem to fail in yours. The survey is going to be like a computer. GIGO= Garbage in, garbage out. You need to know your people you are surveying and the people on this site are not all into light weight backpacking.
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JLMFAO

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just don't understand this concept of having to be "better" or "Improve" over anyone else.  Can't I just hike with a friend and not have to be better or strive to be better then him/her?
 Post Number: 19
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 6:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Mar. 21 2014, 4:50 pm)
I just don't understand this concept of having to be "better" or "Improve" over anyone else.  Can't I just hike with a friend and not have to be better or strive to be better then him/her?

Only if you'd be willing to leave them bleeding trailside while you fight like hell to shave four minute off your best time. Else, why do it?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 20
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps if you chose a different sport - say, football or baseball - that is easier to understand to those who don't actually do it and is actually concerned with competition.

Backpacking is a sport you win alone - your criteria for winning have nothing to do with what anyone else is doing with their backpack and gear. It's all YOU. There are gear geeks, and scenery geeks, and photo geeks, and fishing geeks, and camping geeks, and mountaineering/peak geeks, and then there are individuals who do all that and volunteer for SAR and have a backpack for every kind of trip imaginable.

And now that I have made no sense to you since you don't know the difference between any of those - your survey doesn't make sense to me because there is no BEST. There are MANY bests. Because what I take depends on where, when, and what the weather is.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 21
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2014, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have seen this post in other forums. It was not pretty.
20 replies since Mar. 01 2014, 1:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thesis Project Survey on Gear Design
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions