2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pee bottle?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2002, 4:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

On a recent camping trip was thinking about 1:30 in the morning when i woke up, because i had to pee, that it would be a great idea to get a plastic jar of some sort for the unfortunate emergancies such as this one

Post Number: 2
jeffers Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2002, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A nalgene works for me. Mark it well, something you will be aware of in the dark and don't think it'll serve twice between emptys, unless you know it will for sure.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Spirit_of_the_West Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2002, 5:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, nalgene, marked well, with some glow in the dark paint on the top. It also works well as a hot water bottle when it gets a little nippy out(gross, but it works).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Boy Scout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2002, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a different shape bottle(i.e. if you normally use a round bottle for drinking get a rectangular one for your pee bottle)
 Post Number: 5
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2002, 2:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a wide mouth nalgene bottle that is specific for pee use during the winter. I has x marks all over it so that I do not inadvertently drink from it or store water in it.

I even resorted to peeing in a plastic cup during my recent canoe trip into the boundary waters so that I would not have to leave the tent and expose my body to more bites...the mosquitoes in some areas were extremely agressive.
 Post Number: 6
Lowebacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2002, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is my numero uno piece of gear. Nothing is worse than knowing you have to get out of your toasty bag, put on shoes, get out of the tent, go pee for 30 sec., get back in your tent, take your shoes back off, and then realize you need to rewarm the now freezing sleeping bag. Never leave home with out it!
 Post Number: 7
Greysand Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2002, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is where the Hennessy hammock folks have a one up on us tenters. The hammock opens from the bottom so they can just kinda roll over and down parascope. if you get my meaning. just don't keep your pack down there.
 Post Number: 8
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2002, 2:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

its worst when you feel the need in the middle of a major snow storm than has squawls that heave your tent around...then you bring all that white stuff back in with you and your butt is frozen cold...well for a gal it is.
 Post Number: 9
danbruns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2002, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an empty 1-liter soda bottle (usually from the car ride there). Lighter than a Nalgene, and no mistakes. If you use a soda bottle, use a 1-liter not a 20 oz. Narrow opening and all.
 Post Number: 10
goretex Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2002, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now u see, thats a sensible man, he didnt go out and buy a bottle, he didnt think about it and disscuss it with everyone, he just did it in a soda bottle.....

geez......whats the next topic, which hand do u use to hold the bottle if ur on the left side of the mountain?
 Post Number: 11
spongebob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2002, 3:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought a hennesy and I thought about that, I just didn't want to stand there in the morning and I was afraid that my tally-wacker would look too much like a lure to some hungry forest animal.

--------------
I'm a long haired tree hugging dirt worshiping environmentalist.
 Post Number: 12
spongebob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2002, 3:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always the down hill side, if not then you would have to reach around backward when you're finished and that could cause a spill. Of course, if you are in the southern hemisphere this would be just the opposite.

--------------
I'm a long haired tree hugging dirt worshiping environmentalist.
 Post Number: 13
goretex Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2002, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wow thank....i was like losing major sleep over it
 Post Number: 14
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2002, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know about pissing in bottles, it's not as easy as some of you make it sound, especially in the dark and being in a sleeping bag besides. Try using a zip lock and toss it out of the tent when you're done for later retieval. Just be sure your buddy's tent isn't in that direction!

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2002, 2:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

Where else can you cook, eat, read, and go to the bathroom all without leaving your sleeping bag!

Post Number: 16
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2002, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I suggest using a Nalgene collapsable water bottle for your needs dur to its compactibility.
Olie
Backpacker,mountaineer and ex-outfitters store owner.

Post Number: 17
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2002, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

Gotta go with a 1 qt. Gatorade bottle on this one- easily recognizable shape/texture, so it can't be confused with your nalgene, and the opening is just the right size (for a mountain man like me...)

Post Number: 18
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2002, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I've used a 2 qt (not 1 qt) wide mouth rectangular nalgene bottle for a pee bottle during 4 separate climbs on Denali and will never climb without it. Hydration is extremely important up there, and having this large of a bottle ensures that I would drink enough at night without the worry of having to get up in sub-zero temps and unload outside. It takes practice to be able to pee while still inside the bag....and while still laying down....try that one... Certainly this is only applies to guys...... Gals have a bit more trouble with this topic....HOWEVER....I never thought I would see the day that a female would be able to piss her name in snow....and it happened....right there on the West Buttress route on Denali....with the use of a special device for women only...works great standing up.... The times .....they have changed!!!!!!

Post Number: 19
climyaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2002, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i find that a 32 oz gatorade bottle works very well. Ergonomic grip, textured so you can distinguish it from your nalgene good capacity wide enough mouth to do what you gotta... works for me. im sure its been said; but dont expect it to serve twice in a row.
 Post Number: 20
wvabackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2002, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haha, I wish I had a pee bottle last summer. A grizzly was poking around the tree with my bear bag-about 50 ft from the tent. It woke me up and I had to pee so bad! But there was no way I was leaving the tent with a bear outside...I decided to hold it and try to go back to sleep. The stupid bear woke me up numerous times over a four hour period checking neaby sites and just walking.

After I didn't hear it anymore I poked my head out the tent and looked around. No sign of it so I ran to a tree and thought "Note to self: Pee bottles aren't just good for winter--bring in summer too"

But here's a question...I didn't make a peep when I heard this thing...but I was about to start yelling and hope it went away (I do this often with black bears and they go away), but I wasn't sure about grizzlys. What happens if you make a bunch of noise when they are in your camp? Do they run away or think it's the dinner bell? I'll have to search the forum for this answer and maybe post a a thread if no one here can answer
 Post Number: 21
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2002, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I put scraps of Mole Skin that I have left over, all over the bottle (Qt. Nalgene), that way I can tell by feel which bottle I'm grabbing.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 22
Peakstain Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2002, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had a problem using a liter nalgene. I
wrapped some duct tape around mine to distinguish
in the dark.
 Post Number: 23
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2002, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

great, remind me not to climb with youSmiler. I think almost all of my drinking bottles have duct tape on them. Smiler

Post Number: 24
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2003, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

Ah, from someone who knows... Wink The 1qt Gatorade bottle is just about perfect as a piss-bottle (Men piss, women pee, just so everyone knows); although nobody is going to mistake urine for gatorade, don't think.

Post Number: 25
gear_freak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2003, 4:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second that. The Gatorade bottle is the most underrated but high-performing versatile piece of gear around!
 Post Number: 26
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2006, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha! The pee bottle thread again! :^O

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 27
BuckeyeBlueduck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2010, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good way to make use of the Nalgenes made with BPA instead of getting rid of them. I like to use them for waterproof containers for phones, wallets, etc... while tubing, canoeing, or anytime on the water.

--------------
I was told that I have more backpacks than my girlfriend has purses...they were right.

Playtime Outdoors: and the gear that makes it fun
 Post Number: 28
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2010, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Guest @ Oct. 26 2002, 1:36 pm)
Gotta go with a 1 qt. Gatorade bottle on this one- easily recognizable shape/texture, so it can't be confused with your nalgene, and the opening is just the right size (for a mountain man like me...)

Ditto on the Gato bottle.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 29
wilderfrasier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2010, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know...with a little work you could turn a camelback into a catheter...

--------------
"Often the solitary one
finds grace for himself
the mercy of the Lord,
Although he, sorry-hearted,
must for a long time
move by hand
along the waterways,
the ice-cold sea,
tread the paths of exile.
Events always go as they must!"
- The Wanderer
 Post Number: 30
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2010, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wilderfrasier @ Sep. 19 2010, 4:52 pm)
You know...with a little work you could turn a camelback into a catheter...

OH NO YOU DIDENT! :O
45 replies since Aug. 16 2002, 12:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pee bottle?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions