2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mountaineering Classes, Which One to Take< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cgass177 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2011, 4:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi All,
I'm looking to get into some mountaineering and alpine climbing now that I've moved out to the Pacific Northwest. I've been looking into some different classes and was curious if anyone had taken them or had any recommendations. I live in the Seattle area and have looked at The Mountaineers, Washington Alpine Club, and RMI. If you have any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
skik2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2011, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do a class with RMI you'll likely get some very knowledgable guides that can impart some of their wisdom on you.

I've climbed with a few people from the Mountaineers and they're good people.  I don't live in the area but perused their website once and they seem pretty thorough.  I'd probably climb with them if I lived in Seattle.  It seems like over the course of a few years you could really build a skill set.  It looks like to me that they put a lot of emphasis on you being self sufficient in the mountains whereas some guides just want to finish the trip safely and aren't necessarily gearing you up to go out on your own.
 Post Number: 3
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2011, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Mountaineers is a good organization to belong too. They have trips often.  As does REI with some experienced leaders.

Like skik said, I liked RMI and if you do well you can be considered for other guided climbs they off as well.

You had best be in the best physical condition of your life tho.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 4
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2011, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a class from Alpine Ascents.  I loved it.  I've heard good things about American Alpine Institute also.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of the reputable climbing schools and guide services in your area.  Do your research and find one that best matches your goals and climbing ethos. Have fun!

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 5
skik2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2011, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Without having looked @ the Mtneers program for a while what I'd recommend is doing a condensed course from Alpine Ascents and then signing up with the Mountaineers to continue your education/training.
 Post Number: 6
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2011, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done an expedition skills trip and summit climb of rainier with RMI and they're great.  The only other guide service I've used is Jackson Hole Mountain Guides and they were good as well.
5 replies since Jul. 10 2011, 4:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mountaineering Classes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions