2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: EMS Mountaineering Course, Good? Bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 4:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So as I get more into climbing I'm wondering if the three day mountaineering course offered by EMS is worth the time and money. On the upside it's either in NY or NH where I can probably crash with friends. On the downside I've seen people here suggesting courses out west and not this one.

Any thoughts?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bigMontana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cant realy say myself , but it does seem logical to take the coarse were ever , since your into mountaineering , to be safe and help others if needed.
I was gonna work on S.A.Rs and do some fire fighting this summer.

--------------
The path of least resistance is what makes men ,and rivers crooked.
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my experience, regardless of the type of class that you're thinking about taking, whether it be mountaineering, basket weaving, or micro economics, somebody is always going to suggest that you go somewhere else.

Potential Student: "I've been thinking about taking some classes at UMass Boston."

Helpful Friend: "No; you should take take classes at Lasell and then...."

I do it just as much as anybody when people ask for advice. Clearly, you already know about one option, so in order to help, I'm going to come up with a different idea. My point is that if you have the time, money, and a place to stay, then take the EMS mountaineering course.

I hope you can find someone who's taken the class and hear more about the details. Here's a link from Section Hiker with a description of his experience with the EMS 201 class, you may want to shoot him an email.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before asking which provider to use, ask yourself: What is the purpose of the class? Why are you taking it? When you aquire that set of skills, how do you intend to use them?

If you already know these answers, please share.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent questions.

I want to take a mountaineering course because I've come to a point in my life where I want to explore something new and exciting. It's a challenge that I've admired from a distance and want to try myself. I know that age is working against me (mid-40s) so I don't aspire for any first ascents or crazy climbs.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you thinking of mountaineering in the northeast, Rockies, Himalayas...? The reason I ask... if you don't have any grand aspirations other than winter hiking in the northeast, a mountaineering course would be overkill IMO. You could learn just as much from friends, forum members, or other winter hiking groups. Or, like me, you could just go out and do it and learn along the way.

If you're thinking of Adirondack slide climbs, Mt. Washington via technical routes, or Rockies, then an EMS course would be a good intro... maybe to be supplemented with a Rainier course if you end up having goals that would include traversing glaciers or technical ice climbing.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After I get past the next two busy weeks, I'm going to have a bunch of free weekends in March... if anybody wants to plan another winter trip. I would be up for another Northeast Backpacker winter hike above the treeline in the ADK or White Mountains.  :D

Ridgeline of Mt Mansfield, Vermont, February 4, 2012
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2012, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 16 2012, 7:43 pm)
Are you thinking of mountaineering in the northeast, Rockies, Himalayas...? The reason I ask... if you don't have any grand aspirations other than winter hiking in the northeast, a mountaineering course would be overkill IMO. You could learn just as much from friends, forum members, or other winter hiking groups. Or, like me, you could just go out and do it and learn along the way.

If you're thinking of Adirondack slide climbs, Mt. Washington via technical routes, or Rockies, then an EMS course would be a good intro... maybe to be supplemented with a Rainier course if you end up having goals that would include traversing glaciers or technical ice climbing.

This would be to push past my winter hiking skill set and move onto climbing. Basically I want to bag some peaks. No, the Himalayas are not in the quest, but I do want to climb in the Rockies and what is available here one the east coast.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Feb. 17 2012, 9:37 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 16 2012, 7:43 pm)

This would be to push past my winter hiking skill set and move onto climbing. Basically I want to bag some peaks. No, the Himalayas are not in the quest, but I do want to climb in the Rockies and what is available here one the east coast.

In that case, I think the EMS course would be as good as the others. When/if you proceed to glacier traverses, etc. I'd definitely go with a Rainer (or similar) outfitter where you can practice on actual glaciers. Have fun!

{BTW, you've piqued my interest}

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Feb. 16 2012, 11:24 pm)
After I get past the next two busy weeks, I'm going to have a bunch of free weekends in March... if anybody wants to plan another winter trip. I would be up for another Northeast Backpacker winter hike above the treeline in the ADK or White Mountains.  :D

Ridgeline of Mt Mansfield, Vermont, February 4, 2012

Duuuude.... like I'm SOOOO there!

I never knew that's what Mansfield looked like. I thought all Vermont mountains were boring rounded humps that barely peaked above treeline.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2012, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 17 2012, 2:50 pm)
Duuuude.... like I'm SOOOO there!

I never knew that's what Mansfield looked like. I thought all Vermont mountains were boring rounded humps that barely peaked above treeline.

:laugh: I suspected that picture would pique your interest in a Mansfield summit. In general, I must admit that you're correct about Vermont's mountains (although I still love 'em), but Mansfield has some nice, long ridges to walk.

There are a bunch of different route options from Underhill State Park. Depending on the weather and the group, there are at least a half-dozen different ways we could put a hike together. The best option would be to go up Maple Ridge, cross the entire summit ridge, and then come down the aptly named Sunset Ridge Trail as the sun sets across Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. In marginal weather, we could go up the much steeper, but more protected Laura Cowles Trail and down Sunset.

Breaking Trail up Sunset Ridge Trail, February 2012

I can start a new thread in the Northeast Forum and see if anybody else is interested.
 Post Number: 12
solonomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're in your 40's so you have plenty of good climbing years ahead. I was 56 when I climbed Mt. Rainier and 58 when I climbed Aconcagua ( altitude 22.9K feet).

And yes, I'm still at it at 63!

IMO, you should judge the course by its content rather than location. You can compare the EMS course with the courses offered by Alpine Ascents and Mountain Madness out in the Cascades just by looking at the course content on their websites. Also, I'm sure that you would find any of them very willing to answer your questions on the phone or e mail before you sign up.

Have fun and always be safe!

--------------
"When you travel; if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion...you might as well stay home"
                                      James A. Michener
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Feb. 17 2012, 5:37 pm)
I can start a new thread in the Northeast Forum and see if anybody else is interested.

Well... we're waiting...

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 21 2012, 10:26 am)

(vinovampire @ Feb. 17 2012, 5:37 pm)

Well... we're waiting...

HA! :laugh:

That's awesome.
 Post Number: 15
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
14 replies since Feb. 15 2012, 4:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply EMS Mountaineering Course
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions