2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rough year on Everest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2012, 1:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man it just keeps getting worse up there.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....5242012

They let way too many climbers up now.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2012, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's unbelievable Ray.  That picture of the line of people is astounding.  Russel Brice, who runs Himalayan Expeditions (the team featured on the Everest special on Discovery Channel a few years back) just recently called off all expeditions for 2012.  He had a team there that had been training, and had to regretfully send them back home.  

From what I understand, Mr. Brice is one of the most respected expedition leaders on Everest, and for him to make that decision - the situation on the mountain must be grave.  What really astounds me is that I have not heard of ANY other expeditions making the same call.  I have a feeling this is just the beginning of an unfortunate year on the world's highest peak.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 3
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The jams are ugly.
I was pleased to see that a 68 year-old woman made it though.
:)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2012, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Freddie Wilkinson, the gifted young climber from NH, wrote an interesting Op-Ed piece in the NY Times a week or so prior to those deaths - you can probably google it.
 Post Number: 5
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And you thought crowds were bad in the Cirque of the Towers! It is unbelievable. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading Voices from the Summit - writings by several generations of greats (Anderl Heckmair, Yvonne Chouirnard, Todd Skinner, etc.) on the future of climbing.

Thoughts of ethics, style, proportion, and so on fall by the wayside in these massive guided traffic jams composed of "climbers," many of whom really have little idea of how they got there nor of how to get out if things go wrong - and their guides. The girl who killed herself by insisting she go on and the "guides" who assisted in her death are examples of the ignorance and incompetence that exists out there.

Also coincidentally, I know one of the people who was rescued on Rainier when the ranger was killed yesterday.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that girl who "killed herself" by insisting to continue climbing any different than the dozens of tunnel vision experienced climbers who have done the same over the past 50 years when there were no crowds??

I would say that a large majority of fatal climbs I have read about have that very same issue, and usually, the team supports the single climber's insane desire and drive.

Think how many fewer summits, and fatal accidents, would have occurred on Everest if the climbers going for the summit had turned back when they were supposed to according to the plan??

Some of the greatest, most celebrated stories of Everest are of idiots who got lucky and lived when they should have died.  

How about Tom Hornbein and Willi Unsoeld??

How about Mallory and Irvine, who set the standard??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand what you're saying, but it seems to me there is a significant difference between experienced and informed climbers who understand the consequences of pushing the envelope vs. people with little experience or understanding of the consequences of going well beyond their limits at extraordinary altitude.

I would hope that quality guides would intercede with an inexperienced oxygen-dependent client (when there isn't enough oxygen to get up and down the climb) who is in trouble. Maybe they did all they could to dissuade her. I don't know. In the end it was her uninformed decision that killed her.

Actually I got mixed up on who died - it was a 33 YO woman (among others discussed in the article).

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 8
Trekked Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More people =s huge mistake about to happen. When that mistake happens probably a lot of people dieing then this will be changed asap. That is insane there should be a limit but I guess money talks.

--------------
Posting Trails In Exact Details Has Never Been Easier at Trekked.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2012, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Article in today's NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2012....limbing

--------------

Post Number: 10
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2012, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Few years back I was thinking if I ever came across a good bit of money I didn't need, climbing Mount Everest would be at the top of my list.

Started looking at Mount Kilimanjaro and ruled that out based on crowds and restrictions.  On a whim started looking at Everest, and honestly if I want to stand in long lines in the snow, I'll do it at a ski slope.

I guess it's about what your looking for.  Now if I could try it before they when in and put all the ladders and ropes in place.............game on.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
9 replies since May 24 2012, 1:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rough year on Everest
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions