2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Additional UL Shelter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rodwha Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2013, 8:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are looking to move from Texas and are pushing to live near mountains.

I am looking into winter backpacking and am eyeing an UL bivy, but am wanting additional shelter for it. What I have in mind is a single person rainfly and footprint with poles.

Our family tent is a Big Agnes Copper Spur (3 person), but I don't want to put it through additional stresses, and we'd be unhappy if I had problems with it and needed to replace it. But it's mostly about the additional weight and space as I'll have plenty of other things to carry as well.

I emailed REI and asked if it were possible to purchase just the rainfly and poles through them as we have a membership, but I was told it wasn't possible.

I don't want to spend a lot of money (<$200), and I don't want a setup that uses a walking stick.

--------------
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are mountains then there are MOUNTAINS.  Some of the worst - in terms of survivability - weather in USA is mountain weather and especially winter mountain weather - and especially at altitude.

I've had to spend several days in a very adequate back-packable 4 season tent during mountain winter storms.  And even under the best of conditions it was, at times, grim, cold, miserable and VERY LONG. I'm not sure how much worse that would become in a bivy.  People all over the world have survived worse with less.  But I'm not sure you want to be placed in a survivable emergency every time you go out.

So, the quick answer is, don't skimp on necessities.  I think a bivy is a good option for three seasons and as a back up for an endurance trip that is not expecting any more weather than has been planned for - an emergency shelter when planning doesn't cover everything.

But on the other hand, There are some here and at other forums that encourage the use of tarp tents and the general design for lower altitude snow trips using skis or snowshoes.  You might look into that being your 'rainfly' and the bivy your warmth.  Tarps generally suck for snow shedding tho.

You might want to check out this link at another forum talking about the same thing:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/beginners/topics/153052.html

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 3
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2014, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rodwha @ Dec. 23 2013, 8:17 pm)
We are looking to move from Texas and are pushing to live near mountains.

Great! The best move I ever made (can't resist saying this).

I don't do much snow camping - when I do it's usually in summer. A smart, experienced man once said to me, "If you really needed a bivy, wouldn't you wish you had a tent?"

I have a nice e-vent bivy I brought to Mt. Shasta. It started sleeting and I had to zip it up. It was the most miserable, soggy night I've had camping.

Look for a good winter-worthy tent. I'd save the bivy to carry as emergency gear that you hope you don't have to use.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Send a message to Tigger (or post this in the Gear Form). I believe he uses a UL shelter in the Pacific NW mountains.

I, myself, use a Eureka 4-season 2-man tent in Upstate NY.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
rodwha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've reconsidered and figure I'd rather just have an UL single person tent. I've been looking at Big Agnes Slater, Fly Creek, and Copper Spur tents.

I'd likely camp nearer the base of the mountain.

Oh, and it looks like it may be Virginia we'll be moving to, but possibly Oregon (good beer!!!).

--------------
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
4 replies since Dec. 23 2013, 8:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Additional UL Shelter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions