2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where are you headed with the kids?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
spwhite24 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2012, 5:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone,
I thought it might be interesting with summer right around the corner to discuss you plans. Where are you heads with the kids once they are out of school for the summer? Any plans? Ideas?

I think for starters I am headed to Dolly Sods in WV with
Y three daughters. Will be their second trip. They really have the big! They love it!! Would like to take them out west to but not sure.
So what about you??
Happy trails
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we'll try a section of the Salmon River trail in the Frank Church Wilderness (Central Idaho) this year.  From the end of the road, it is five easy miles to a great camp spot.  From there, there's a nice side canyon to explore and some old mining relics and Native American petroglyphs a couple miles further up river, so we could play for a few days from a base camp.  There is generally a lot of wildlife there in the late spring.  I think the 3 year old, and definitely the soon-to-be 5 year old can make it that far under their own steam this year.

We usually take a good road trip to see a few national parks each summer, with lots of dayhiking.  We haven't chosen a locale for this year, yet.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2012, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We haven't made a decision yet.  We seldom do much in advance.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Rebecca, no real plans yet.  Nothing picked in advance.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I'm having thoughts about the Winds.  When we went in 2005 the boys couldn't hike far enough to get us into the best parts (though we did pretty well, in an area that was very little traveled as there were no fish).

Also the Sawtooths or Whiteclouds.  I have unfinished business with Glacier, but I'm more sure I'm ready to go back yet, and I want to BP where I can camp at will, not at designated sites.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're planning on Olympic NP this year, sometime in August.  Whether we get there or not (this my third go around planning this trip!) remains to be seen  :p

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have been looking at going out West as well. (we are in Ohio) You know it is really kind of over whelming, there are so many awesome places out there. Hard to pick one. I do have to keep the limits of my 3 girls in mind ages 7-13. Every time I think I have picked one, I change my mind. LOL!! Zion National Park remains a top contender though.
 Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2012, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spwhite24 @ Mar. 10 2012, 10:22 am)
Have been looking at going out West as well. (we are in Ohio) You know it is really kind of over whelming, there are so many awesome places out there. Hard to pick one. I do have to keep the limits of my 3 girls in mind ages 7-13. Every time I think I have picked one, I change my mind. LOL!! Zion National Park remains a top contender though.

When are you going?  I'm not sure I'd put Zion at the top of the list in, say, August.  Though we had a good time there in July, it meant getting out very early and late, and killing a hunk of time through the middle of the day.  Ideally, mountains in summer, desert in spring.  If you are talking early summer--end of May/beg. of June, Zion's not a bad choice, I think.  It's pretty high, so warms up a little later (in April one year we got snowed on pretty good).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well not really sure. I put in for the second week in June and the second week in August. I could use either I guess. I appreciate your input with your experience.
Thanks
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well not really sure. I put in for the second week in June and the second week in August. I could use either I guess. I appreciate your input with your experience. I would like to hear your suggestions.
Thanks
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

spwhite--are your girls into hiking?  or will a trip with them be more typical tourism?  We've hiked our boys over a lot of trails around the west and might have some ideas if you are looking for easy BP trips or whatever.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am very proud to say even though they are young, they are experienced hikers, almost from the time they could walk. Last year they went on the first backpacking trip and loved it!! Was a short easy one just to feel things out and insure a successful first time. They are ready for more. We do enjoy the tourist thing some but our idea of really enjoying a natural place is to get out in it, away from all the people and touristy stuff and really experience the essence of a place. I look forward to hearing more from you.
 Post Number: 13
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's great!  

When you know when, we can all toss around ideas for where.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're planning a trip to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Harney Peak--state high point, Badlands Natl. Park and the surrounding areas.  We got an invite from my bro.-in-law to spend Labor Day with them in Gattlinburg, Tennessee.  We'll see how it goes, but I'd be able to bag several state high points on that trip.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

mocamper - we did that route a couple of years ago, it was fantastic!  You will all have a really good time.  My husband especially liked hiking in the Black Hills (we hiked in to see Rushmore instead of parking in the lot, but it a longish trip for very little legs).

I highly recommend Wind Cave NP, it was my favorite of the trip :)  I am dying to get back there to do some backcountry camping (we only car camped on that trip, and Wind Cave is small, but very special).

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, we did most of that a few years back too!  If you like caves, hit Jewel Cave too.  Also fun: Little Devils Tower.  We just did a drive- by at Rushmore.  We'd meant to stop for a few minutes, but it was July 3 and they were having their fireworks.  The road was jammed for miles.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jewel Cave is very cool, we had fun there too :)  I like Wind a little more because it was unlike any other cave we'd been to.

I think that Lizs mentioned to me once that they have fireworks most summer nights, but I can only imagine how crazy it would be close to the 4th of July  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2012, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I have been looking at the calendar and I need to get planning things. So I thinking I will start working on planning a trip out West for the second week in June. What do you think? Good time? Bad timing? Locations? What do you have for me?

I love these forums for this kind of thing. So helpful for lesser experienced ones like myself. Thanks to all

Happy Trails
 Post Number: 19
climbmda Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year, my wife and I and her sister will be taking our son (4) and our nieces (6 and 8) on three trips.  The first two 3 night trips to state parks for base camping and dayhiking.  Whitewater and Split Rock in Minnesota.

Then in August we are taking the kids to the BWCA for a 4 day canoe camping trip.  

We will probably also throw in a couple of car camping weekends when the schedule allows and the weather is good.

--------------
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he'll spend spend all his days on a boat drinking beer.
 Post Number: 20
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's too hot to do much of anything besides swim in the summer around here.  :)  Or maybe paddle a kayak!  No big trips planned (yet!) for the summer this year ..........

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 21
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just did a 3-day spring break trip on the Adventure Hiking Trail in Indiana.
 Post Number: 22
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fun plans everyone!  

Last month we spent two weeks in Arizona/Utah and had a blast. We backpacked in the Grand Canyon, rented a 4WD to see the sights around Page, and went to Bryce.  

The other big trip this year is a two week trip in Montana/Wyoming. The first week is in a cabin in Cooke City with my parents. The second week we are backpacking in the Wind River Range. Last year we did our first trip there and we were hooked.  Can't wait to go back. Bonus is that this time our daughter can do her own hiking (she's four). Last year I carried her a lot of the way and my husband carried all the gear - he'll be happy to split it this year. :)
 Post Number: 23
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I guess they weren't kidding about what happens when your kids reach high school...   My baby is "touring" with a jazz orchestra this summer.  He's actually missing the last week of school for pre-tour rehearsals, then touring three weeks in Europe, then a week around Michigan.  Doesn't get home until the latter part of July.  We have a two-week window, then in August he's off to band camp, followed by crew camp...

We have a trip planned to Belize just before school starts and, at this point, I think that may be all.  Hopefully, we'll be able to sneak in a car-trip up north in Michigan.

They grow up too fast.   :(

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 24
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems my 5 year old will be going with me to the NM/CO Rockies this July, so if you have any suggestions please add them on this thread. Thanks!
 Post Number: 25
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, Tigerfan!  My 9th-grader has no inclination to go off and do anything without the family.  We'll probably have to shove him out the door bodily at some point.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
Lisasvoice Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Topshot,

What do you already have in mind? I don't know about NM, but CO is my turf, especially Indian Peaks Wilderness and RMNP. The Great Sand Dunes NP is also fun, but I'm not sure it the Medno Creek is chugging this season...it's been dry. That would be the highlight for a little tyke, it's like a sandy beach. Possiblities are endless.
 Post Number: 27
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Apr. 20 2012, 12:32 am)
Wow, Tigerfan!  My 9th-grader has no inclination to go off and do anything without the family.  We'll probably have to shove him out the door bodily at some point.

Put him on a plane to Paris yesterday...

I am so not going to do well when he goes off to college.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 28
kevinwinterborn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pennsylvania - Swatara Gap area.
I hike with my boys around Swatara Gap, Pa.  Located just east/ne of Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA.  There are great bike trails, hiking trials, the Chinese/Boxcar Wall, old mines, etc.  Great for hiking, streams, fossils, etc.  Just do a search of this area.  I can post pic if necessary or contact me for more info. My boys are 8 and 11.  I have a 20 month old, but he isn't ready yet.  I also hike the AT in PA a lot with the  boys.  Another great trail not far from this area is the Tom Lowe trail, a great trail for the kids. Not too steep, springs, campsites etc and rarely visited by groups, or hikers. It joins the AT north of Shartlesville, PA.  We also like going to Jim Thorpe, PA and hiking the Glen Onoko Falls trails.  Great views, and you can walk behind the falls in places.  Watch the snakes.  There are also great biking trails, very wide and smooth and less than 2% grade along a railroad. Ride down into Jim Thorpe for some food, hot dogs with the kids.
 Post Number: 29
Tolerant1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yosemite on August 16th!!
10 year old daughter; 14 year old son
Four day backpacking trip from the valley to Sunrise Lakes then down the Cathedral fork of the Merced to Echo Valley.  Form there it is a beautiful hike along the Merced River and they get to have some fun at Bunnell Cascade before wrapping it up.

Then its 5 days of camping in North Pines campground right on the Merced.

We are very, very excited!
 Post Number: 30
B'Slacka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did a nice overnighter with my 6 yo. Round Valley rec area in NJ has great wilderness sites for kids. I had him helping filter water, hang a bear bag and gather kindling. He had a blast!
37 replies since Mar. 06 2012, 5:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where are you headed with the kids?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions