2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I'm "camping", with teenagers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2012, 8:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going as the male chaperon for a group of 14 7th-8th graders. We are going to the Mt LeConte lodge (Smokies). It is not backpacking but it is about a 6 mile hike and there's no electricity. We will get to eat well though. I have stayed at the shelter there quite a few times but I have never stayed at the lodge. It's too pricey for me.  The "lodge" is just a collection of shacks with bunk beds. Everyone eats in a communal dining room.

I'm pretty pumped about this trip. The weather looks to be perfect, I don't have to carry as much stuff, and I get to eat better. The views from up there are moving. I think this will be one of those trips the kids will remember forever.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great!  Yes, they'll remember that.  I was struck at last week's "Student of the Year" ceremony (district-wide; we're a K-8 dist.) by how many of the kids being honored cited Outdoor Ed as the high point of grade school.

It made much less impression on my boys, but even for them it was new and different--because they stayed in cabins and were with slews of other kids.  Plus, they got to point out that when THEY go camping, they hike miles, carry a pack, and sleep on the ground :D

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TacGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trip sounds great.  I have never been there.  Actually, I have never been west of Ohio :-(  Someday I really want to see more of our beautiful country, and camping/backpacking excursions would be a great and less expensive way of doing it.
I hope you post pictures!!!

By the way,,, where do schools teach Outdoor ed??
 Post Number: 4
Lisasvoice Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds like a blast. I do trips with either all boys or all girls. The conversations are so completely different...yes, I eavesdrop, it's hard to help.  It's funny that they forget I'm in the tent right next to theirs. The boys would run through the woods chasing each other with sticks, and the girls were braiding each others' hair, and swimming in the creek, and talking about their teachers' personal lives. I had no idea that there really was that much of a difference between the sexes.

Keep an eye out for the quiet kids, if there are any, they might need more one on one. Have fun!
 Post Number: 5
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TacGuy @ May 16 2012, 9:33 pm)
The trip sounds great.  I have never been there.  Actually, I have never been west of Ohio :-(  Someday I really want to see more of our beautiful country, and camping/backpacking excursions would be a great and less expensive way of doing it.
I hope you post pictures!!!

By the way,,, where do schools teach Outdoor ed??

I get to brag a bit. My kids' school has a Parks as Classroom program for grades K-8. They take multiple trips per year and a total of 48 trips in the entire K-8 curriculum. We have the only full-time PaC coordinator in the country.  These field trips are for things like measuring the level of acid in streams and comparing the quality of life in the streams of low and high acid. The also do a lot with history and biology. Some volunteers come to help with special trips. My 3rd grader when to the old Greenbrier  school and was taught a lesson by a lady in period dress using period curriculum and implements (writing on slate, etc)
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pastywhite, I'm jealous!  

Tac Guy,out here in the Westit seems to be pretty common.  In our area the County runs a camp in conjunction with the Y, and all the 5th graders go.  They mix up the schools so that kids from all over the Peninsula go together, maybe a half dozen schools at a time.  They stay all week, no parents allowed, and go on hikes, study nature in the redwoods and the tidepools both, and generally do stuff most would never get to do otherwise.

My biggest sorrow is that many of our students, especially from Latino and Filipino families, don't get to go, because of parental fears or family custom that says that we do everything as a family, and no one goes off by themselves.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Lisasvoice Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's so interesting that you mention the Latino families. We have a strong population of Latinos here in Colorado. Yet there is a fear here too of the mountains. Considering how big the population is, there is a lack of this cultural group visiting the wilderness. When I've asked kids about it, they say the same things. There is a fear of wildlife or the unknown. Latino families picnic together near strams or lakes, but generally don't travel to the high country.

What is sad to me to is that for most kids, their experiences within the schools that take them to the wilderness or national parks are a one time deal. The schools have not made it a priority to expose kids continously over the span of their childhoods to teach them what is there, help them appreciate the natural world around them, and teach them how to protect it all.

The stress for schools is on the high tech world, but not how that artificial world can protect the real life one. If kids can't surround themselves with mother nature, they can't possibly see themselves as part of it. That is a dangerous thing indeed!
6 replies since May 15 2012, 8:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I'm "camping"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions