2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: diapers on backpacking trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
danmc91 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2012, 1:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning a relatively short distance 2 night backpacking trip with a 1 year old as part of our small group and have a couple of questions.

1)  it is bear country and we'll be hanging food.  Should used diapers be hung too?

2)  any good suggestions for containing the used ones and the odor for a few days in the summer?  I'm picturing someones pack getting a little smelly after 2 nights.

With my older ones, we car camped until they were out of diapers.  With this little one, mom is on board and we're excited about being a little more off the beaten path.  

Thanks
-Dan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2012, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did this a fair bit with our boys, though mostly base camping until they were out of daytime diapers at least (until they could both walk, more to the point).  I honestly can't remember exactly what we did, but don't recall a big problem.  I think we buried the solid wastes and bagged the diapers tightly.  We used disposables, so sort of wrapped them around themselves to seal as best we could.

If we hung them, it was not with the food :)

If you use cloth diapers, I recommend drying them if they are just wet and reusing them.

Dang, you let 10 or 12 years go by and you forget things!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have backpacked with disposable diapers.  For the wet ones, we carried them tightly wrapped and bagged in a big ziploc; when we got to camp we laid them in the sun to dry out, just to lighten the load a bit.  We buried the pooh from the dirty ones, and packed them out in plastic bags as well.  We absolutely hung used diapers in a bear bag, with the rest of the trash.  

I know people who use cloth diapers, and wash them out in a gallon sized ziploc with a little doc bronners campsoap.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll throw out my 2 cents...at the risk of a verbal beat down.

We cloth at home, but on single night trips, we take disposable diapers.  Anything more than a night and we take the cloth diapers.  I know this is faux pas, but we've washed out dirty cloth diapers in a creek and hung them to dry.  Just being honest.
 Post Number: 5
mountaindocdanny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2012, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Single gallon zip lock bag stored in an outside pocket on your pack. We do it all the time.

--------------
Griffis Family Outdoors
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2012, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least cathole the poop......

Anyhow, yes I use disposables and ziploc gallon bags. You gotta hang them, animals will rip them up.

If it is a hot day and no bugs you can dehydrate disposables in the sun to reduce weight.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Lisasvoice Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2012, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah..I'd think the diapers would be a bear draw, as they are strongly scented. If you can do things to reduce the smell, do. I don't think bears like ammonia, though. When my kids were little, we spent a lot of time on beaches, with them in the buff (no messy diapers, just a quick rinse in the ocean, if necessary)
6 replies since Jun. 04 2012, 1:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply diapers on backpacking trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions