2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: need a new backpack, carrying for the family< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
13blackcats Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 7:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello!
Is it ok to post a family related hiking (not backpacking) question here?

We just started hiking this year in southern Nevada.  It's me, DH, DS (22 months) and DSD (13 years).  And sometimes a dog.  I gave DSD a camelback type backpack I have that fits her water bottle & a couple other things.  And we're going to get some kind of pack for the dog to carry her own water (recommendations welcome, she's 60lb).

Then there's the rest of us.  DH usually carries DS and I carry the pack with water for the 3 of us, snacks, diaper stuff, and whatever else we need.  The water is generally a 32 oz water bottle, 2  - 24oz bottles, and 1 or 2 - 16 oz bottles.  And a sippy cup or 2.

We're doing day hikes, but I'm hoping since this is the family area I can get some recommendations for a good daypack.  I'm very not into overnights at this point.  Preferably we'd get a bag that either I (5'5 & 125) or DH (6'3 and ... rail thin) could carry.  I don't like drinking from a bite valve, but he doesn't mind.  I've been looking at the Columbia Trail Grinder 32L, an Osprey Manta 30, and a JanSport Odyssey.  

Any opinions on these bags, recommendations for a different one, or just general advice about what to look for?  I'll probably check them out in person at REI this week but am not going to jump on a purchase yet.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate to tell you, but I don't think you are going to find a pack that fits you both, given the 10" height difference.  As for specific pack commendations, you might ask about decent day packs in the gear forum.  Any typical day pack that fits comfortably should be fine.  

I will suggest that you get your daughter a pack that will carry all the water she needs (in bottles or a bag, if she doesn't mind a bite valve), as well as her jacket or whatever.  No reason for you to be carrying for a 13YO :D

Anyway, haul along the stuff you want to carry in the pack and try out how it fits right in the store.  

I say all that. . . And when we day hike, I carry most of the family's food (but not water) and raingear--in my son's Deuter Fox 40 (his backpacking pack).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 2:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, and welcome.  It is certainly OK to ask dayhiking questions here.

I agree with Rebecca...your height difference is probably too great to find one pack that fits you both well.  Perhaps one of you doesn't mind hiking with a somewhat ill-fitting pack, but if that isn't the case, you're probably each going to need your own.  I'm close to your size, and my husband is a skinny 6'0."  We can take turns with a pack if it isn't heavy, but if it's more than about ten lbs, we both find it really annoying to walk very far with the other's favorite pack.  He seems to do better with my pack that is a bit too small for him, than I do with his pack which is too big for me.  The shoulder straps on his pack are set too wide for my frame and rub on my armpits, the waist belt hits way too low on my torso to do any good, putting all the weight on the shoulder straps which are rubbing...I hate wearing his pack.
How is your toddler being carried?  I hope you have a kid carrier backpack, rather than trying to carry him in your arms or on your shoulders piggy-back style.  The child and parent will both be a lot more comfortable with a good carrier pack.  Almost all of them have the ability to haul some water and a few other necessities, as well as the child.  I see them around here on craigslist all the time.
Another thing to consider would be carrying a water filter instead of a gallon of water, if there is typically a water source available on your hikes.  Water is so heavy, I very much prefer filtering water a couple of times during the day to carrying all that we'll need at once.  I understand that may not be an option in southern Nevada.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies!  No, I definitely do NOT carry anything for the 13 yr old LOL  In fact I gave her the dog's water last weekend ;)

Currently DS is being carried in an Ergo if DH is carrying him.  If he wants me to carry him he goes on my back in a wrap that I keep folded in the bottom of the bag.  We are planning to get a Kid Comfort 3 possibly, but the Ergo will do in a pinch.

Unfortunately there usually isn't water available where we hike.  Even the places that have running water sometimes are about to dry up now.  I'll concentrate on a bag that fits me based on what was said above.  Eventually we'll get DH one, but since he is usually the baby carrier, I'll get the pack.

I'll post in gear too then, thanks!
 Post Number: 5
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The KC3 will carry a lot of gear with the kid. But....fair warning: while it fits me (I am shorter), my husband is 6'4" with very broad shoulders and it rides not so good on him.
as for day packs? Get one cut for a woman!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I totally agree with gathering all your gear together and lugging it down to the store with you to see how everything fits in the pack - I've done this successfully with a couple of the packs I've had over the years, and it's been worth the effort.  It's good to make sure that your most bulky load (in my case, fall and winter layers) will fit comfortably in the pack, and that the pack can cinch down well for summer loads.

For carrying a fair amount of water, you'll likely want something with a good frame and suspension, and a good hipbelt.  Also, wear the pants or shorts you usually do when hiking - I have one pair of hiking pants that I don't wear so much anymore due to an annoying little pocket that rubs me the wrong way under a heavy load.

Welcome to the forums! :)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again for the info and welcome!  Haven't had a chance to post in gear yet, busy busy at work.  And about to go on a volunteer mountain cleanup (my job loves when we do volunteer work, yay!).  Tomorrow is try on day (packs & maybe KC if they have it), so I'll make sure to have all the water.  Eventually I need to accustom myself the the water bladder I suppose.  Of course, the little camel back type pack my SD carries just ripped and is now held together with safety pins!
6 replies since Jun. 18 2012, 7:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply need a new backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions