2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: picky eater experiment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:33 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Friday, went and bought a bunch of stuff that could be suitable for backpacking. A lot of good info I have picked off this forum.

We packed it all up into ziplocs, including gorp, animal crackers, tortillas, peanutbutter, cheese in a can, anda, anda, anda.

Friday evening until this morning, the rule was, you can eat anything that is on this table. We will only eat from this table all weekend.

Our unexpected hit was the cheese in a can and ramen noodles for "Mac and Cheese" Yeah, the can weighs more, but the ramen takes less time to cook and it didn't have the potential for waste that whole box of mac and cheese might have (deluxe comes with the cheese sauce pack).

Because we made gorp, there weren't the parts of trail mix he doesn't like.

This morning, he packed that last of the tortillas, cheese and peanut buter lunch and a bag of gorp. A tear open pack of Koolaid and a 17oz water bottle. Yes, he took backpacking food for lunch.

I did an inventory of what is left (Chicken and rice in case the ramen and cheese didn't work well, 2 bags of gorp. 1 bag of animal crackers) and I got a pretty good idea what to take for our mid-March trip.

Thanks for the info so far.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheese in a can is so gross, and yet so good ;-) You'd be hard pressed to find a kid who doesn't love using it on crackers :)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

crackers, tortillas, his finger,

It is a guilty pleasure
 Post Number: 4
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

gorp is tops since they get to do their own mix. just have to watch how much dried fruit they put in because those thingies are yummy but can have too much sugar.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I had veto rights on what went into the gorp.
I should have vetoed the gummy bears and went with M&M's or Reese's though.
 Post Number: 6
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like the idea of putting out all the options literally on the table before you go out on the trail.

Around my place, though, we'd have to devise a method of keeping the Labradors out of the sampling process!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 7
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like that idea too, but I think mine would just eat and eat. Then the things he didn't like would just sit there, and he would be hungry. I might try this but tell him he can only go to the table at certain times, or pick something and then wait an hour before he can go back, and try to distract him.

I bet build your own gorp would really be a hit though!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 8
a1skimom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find the closer to food we eat at home I can keep the menu on the trail the better.  
Also while on a trip I find giving each child their own snack bag for the trip helps to teach them how to ration food at a low risk.  For instance one kid ate everything by day two and had to go without for the next two days.  However, on the next trip they asked how many days we would be out and then looked at what was in the bag and rationed it out well.

I do however keep an extra bag in my pack to hand out as a treat and/or reward for hills, water crossings, and such.

--------------
I will act as old as I feel, look as old as I am, and smile at the obvious disconnect.
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My guys have for several years counted out, carried, and rationed their trail candy.  They decide on the trade-off between weight and number of pieces per day, and totally can choose when to eat it.  It's the actual meals that kill me.  They are hard enough to feed at home.  Trail food is harder, and then their tastes can get wonky at altitude, though appetites may not fade (stuff just doesn't taste as good, or issue with texture are magnified).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't mind my boy eating and eating. He will graze all day long on animal crackers, gorp, apples, crackers, whatever. When we are out, I need him to get calories in him however possible.

And the advantage I have? We don't get altitude like you guys do.
9 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 10:33 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply picky eater experiment
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions