2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Summer plans wiht kids< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
a1skimom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So as school starts winding down this month, are any of you making plans for some adventures with the kids this summer?  Were are you going?  How long will you go?  Are you adjusting anything because kids are along?

--------------
I will act as old as I feel, look as old as I am, and smile at the obvious disconnect.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to do 25 or so miles with my 6 yo at Grayson Highlands and then my 15 yo and I will be doing another major road trip (3+ weeks) to UT, AZ, NV and CA. No adjustments per se since the trips are geared to them.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning to head to Banff.  Also planning something in the second week of June, as soon as school is out.  Just not sure what yet.

We've had our kids a long time.  We don't plan and then adjust for them.  They come on all our adventures (well, maybe not Pickle Gulch ;) ) so we plan for them from the get-go.  

Of course, since they are getting old, they can now do as much or more than we can, so it's a non-issue.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
a1skimom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are making plans for at least on 20+ 3 night trip in July.  The other trips will have to be day trip or single night but we are excited.  The 6 yr old daughter can't wait.  The 3 yr old son just wants to be sure we can fish on the trip.  We have welcome adjustments as the older 3 kids are able to carry more (my husband and I get to lighten our load a bit).
Our first trip will be with the 15 yr old son.  He has wanted to go without the younger kids so he can walk at his speed not the 3 yr olds pace.  And since he earned his Eagle award in Boy Scouts we thought it was a great idea and wonderful reward for him.  So we are going as soon as school it out to the Columbia River George area.

--------------
I will act as old as I feel, look as old as I am, and smile at the obvious disconnect.
 Post Number: 5
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One week at Theodore Roosevelt NP (ND) sometime first two weeks of June, maybe just an overnight there due to the water issue.  Good all-day dayhiking the rest of the trip, though!

Pictured Rocks NL (MI) in August, still figuring out just where we'll go or how many night to spend out.

Leaf's 13 now and can easily do as many miles as we can, so no big adjustments for us this year in the locations we are headed to.  Last year on the Hoh River Trail we spent more nights out than most do, mostly because we live in an elevation challenged area and knew we could only do so many miles trudging upwards in a day.  That kind of planning paid off for us for the most part.

Sounds like everyone has some nice things planned!  :)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One long dayhike in one of the local NF's hopefully every week - that's my goal!  As long as there are no fires that I have to work.

3 days car camping near Lone Pine and possibly a week up in the Sequoia NF area next month - also would like to backpack in the Mt. San Jacinto area this summer.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 7
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our daughter is five and we factor that into account when planning a trip. We are thrilled to be returning to the Dolomites this year for a two week hut to hut hike. Last time I carried my daughter most of the way and this year she will be on her own - so that's a plus.  We have three weeks planned in Wyoming/Montana with a five-seven night backpacking trip in the Wind River Range.  Can't wait!  We also have some hikes/backpacking/camping trips planned closer to home; one is a backpacking trip with somebody off another message board that also has a young daughter.  I know my daughter will love having a friend to play with.  

Happy summer to everybody.  :)
6 replies since May 02 2013, 11:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Summer plans wiht kids
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions