2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Soon to grow out of his Woobie, what bag is next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 10:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my kid has made great use of his Kelty Woobie, but he's soon to be too tall for it...  What's next?  Kelty Little Dipper, or is there a better bag out there for kids up to around 4' tall?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any experience between the Little Dipper and the Grasshopper?

--------------
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are both new since our day, when we had to go straight from the old down jacket to the NF Tigger, I think it was.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been very happy with my kids Mountain Hardware bags. I think they are the old version of the mountain goat adjustable, they have drawstrings in the footbox that shorten the bag so there's not a lot of dead space.  My youngest has been using his since he was barely 4 (and he is small for his age) and fit very nicely with the bag shortened as far as the drawstrings would allow, and those bags will fit the kids until they are almost 5 feet tall.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Mountain Goat looks like a nice bag - lighter and warmer than the Grasshopper.  But twice as expensive.  And it says it fits up to 6' tall!  

Any others?  I think 6' is a bit overkill for a 2 year old :p

--------------
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI Kindercone?  $60, 3# 4 oz, fits up to 60"  

Seems heavy, and stuff size is 30L (12x16).

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, what's with kids bags being so heavy anyway?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ May 08 2014, 6:44 am)
Yeah, what's with kids bags being so heavy anyway?

People don't want to pay too much.  Cheap materials are heavy.  That's why as soon as we were past bed-wetting, we just moved the boys into adult down bags and folded under the ends.  The full-sized adult 15-degree bag took up less space and weighed less than the kids' 20- or 25-degree synthetic.  

But it was the NF Tigger until maybe age 7?  One reason we didn't do any unsupported backpacking until both boys were past 5.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking that a quilt might do well for him, but at $200 for a 5'6" version it is probably out of range.  Still, they are light and pack small.

Same old pick 2.  Cheap. warm, light.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I have a small down Go Lite 3 season quilt that I've used for him - but he tends to wiggle out of it.

There's definitely a hole in the market... I think if you made a lightweight kids bag people would spend a little more for it.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally chose this one for my girls:
http://www.campmor.com/eureka-....g.shtml
(There is also a green version for boys called the Grasshopper).
The specs compared favorably to the other kids bags by TNF, Kelty, REI, etc, and the price was much better.  The weight is actually better than most of the others if my memory is correct. We've used them down to about *25 with fleece PJs and an old 3/4 standard thermarest, and the kids were toasty. I had extra blankets for that trip since I'm always skeptical about temp ratings, but we didn't need them.  My complaint is that these bags are not very compressible (but typical for synthetics), and the stuff sack that comes with the bags is useless.  It's too small for storage and too big for packing. But for the price, that's a nitpick. I actually found one for $15 new in the box on ebay and the other on sale for $30.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 12
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2014, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just FYI-

REI Kindercone on sale during their anniversary sale for $39.99:

http://www.rei.com/product....-845512

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 13
Hikersalike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2014, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is great. I needed this too. My son outgrown his bag too and I'm thinking of buying new one that would best fit him. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts.
12 replies since Oct. 22 2013, 10:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Soon to grow out of his Woobie
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions