2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Extended travel in Latin America with a 3 year old, Packing tips< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nocturneofsalome Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My partner and I are planning a trip that would be a half cruise from Miami to like Belize, Costa Rica, or Panama and then spend several months traveling with our daughter through Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, and the fjords of Chile. We obviously want to pack as light as possible only taking with us what we can carry. We plan on mostly staying in places from Air BNB and local hostels, so we won't really need much camping gear. We do hope to do the 4 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. We hope to do lots of snorkeling and easy day hikes. Any tips on what to pack and how to pack? Partner and I both have Kelty Cloud packs but are thinking about getting a Deuter for carrying our kid. We have a smaller child carrier that is a Kinderpack that is an option to take, too. Thanks so much.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not going to try and advise you on gear.  If you haven't already, contact the U.S. Embassies of each country and ask them about taking a child that young in and out of the country.  I worked in Costa Rica one summer and remember people having trouble not having the right paperwork.

Sounds like a great trip.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A three-year-old is awkward, unless she's small or exceptionally strong.  They can't walk very far and are getting very heavy to carry.

For Macchu Pichu I'd recommend a fully-supported trek.  Then you don't have to worry about gear, and you can save your strength for lugging the kid.  

Good advice about the paperwork.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What paperwork would they need beyond a passport for the child?  I would think a passport would cover it (unless they are from a country that might requires visas?).

Rebecca is right - that is kind of an awkward age.  We spent two weeks hiking in Italy when our daughter was 3.5.  She was able to hike part of the time on her own, but I also carried her in an Ergo carrier.  We did a hut to hut hike and because I carried my daughter, my husband had to carry everything for the three of us in one pack. Packing light was necessary!  Clothing was the biggest chunk of what we packed and everything we took was multifunctional and quick drying so we could do laundry in our sink when needed.  Items that I found useful for me: convertible pants, hiking skirt (can hike in it and also it can be used when in town, etc), wicking shirts, one long sleeve button down shirt (hiking or for around town), and Crocs.  I had trail shoes for hiking and a pair of Crocs, which were very useful for around the huts, casual wear around town, etc. I would have at least one pair of lightweight (and likely waterproof) shoes/sandals. My daughter had pretty much the same stuff as me.  We also had base layer long underwear (under pants or skirt), rain gear, hat, gloves, and down jackets.  I would usually keep one outfit for hiking and one that was clean.

If you are doing hostels you might need/want a hostel sheet or sleeping bag liner (we use lightweight silk ones for our trips).  Other stuff we took: pack towels (the highly absorbent, quick drying ones), journal, camera gear, head lamps, money pouch, Aqua Mira drops (water treatment), toiletries, first aid kit, small repair kit, extra ziplocs, etc.  We used some packing aids from Eagle Creek - lightweight toiletry back and this great flat zippered pouches that were good for keeping track of receipts, loose papers, small souvenirs, etc.  Also used one of the pouches for stuff for our daughter - small notebook for drawing/coloring, stickers, small pack of cards, etc).

I'm not familiar with the packs you listed, so just looked them up. If the Kinderpack is comfortable for everybody on your easy day hikes, I would stick with that.  The advantage is that it can fit in your packs or can be clipped on the outside of a pack.  There might be times both you and your partner are wearing your packs and you'll want an easy way to carry your child carrier.  Overall I would plan for both you and your partner to carry a pack and have the additional child carrier.  

If you haven't already done so, I would read up on kids at high altitude.

Sounds like quite an adventure - have a fantastic trip!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
3 replies since Apr. 16 2014, 3:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Extended travel in Latin America with a 3 year old
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions