2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone used or selling an Osprey Poco / Deuter KC?, Looking for a Child Carrier pack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2014, 8:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey folks,

My daughter is about to turn 7 months and loves walks in the woods / park with me. I'm thinking about investing in a backpack/child carrier combo for this summer to get some trail /daddy time in. That being said, this seems like the kind of gear that gets 'handed down'.

I thought I'd put a shout-out to folks here and see if anyone has one lounging in their garage their child has outgrown... or simply some experience with them and advice on whether or not I use this or simply take my child out in a trail-wheeled stroller. :)

Thanks in advance!

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2014, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My kid-packs have long since been handed down (and again) (and rendered obsolete by the constant changes in the field), but I will vote for the pack, not the stroller.  I found with Eldest Son that he liked the pack, but was NOT keen on rough trails with the stroller.  And often trails in our open space areas were inappropriate for the stroller, because they were too narrow, or for other reasons.  I had both, though, so I could hike or run with the baby.  I just stuck to paved paths for the running :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2014, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems like it would be great for things like the farmers market and hitting street festivals with my girl as well as it's far more maneuverable. I'd likely want to invest in the sunshade as well as she's a bit of a china-doll and I want to make sure her skin is safe.

Thanks for the info!

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2014, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, definitely better for crowds, and definitely get the sunshade!  Then keep an eye on things, because arms and legs tend to stick out from under the shade, and pants and sleeves ride up.  

In all seriousness, I also liked the sunshade because I knew that I would never bump the baby's head when ducking under a branch or whatever--it would hit the shade first.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They were both crucial gear for me, along with a bike trailer.  Actually I had a jogging stroller that converted into a bike trailer and ski trailer.  For hiking, I preferred the backpack carrier over the stroller. It's pretty danged hard work to push one of those up a rocky hill.  And yes on the sunshade for the pack or the stroller either one.  Besides the obvious function, they are also great for draping a bug net or a rain poncho when needed, and provide a "pillow" for a sleeping kid's head.  There are usually dozens of backpack carriers on ebay and around here you can find all of it on craigslist on any given day.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 6
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found mine on Craigslist for a steal! I'd give it to you, but the cost to ship it would likely kill the deal. Plus, my 18 month old still enjoys it. Though, he is getting pretty big and likes running down the trail too :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 7
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A child carrier is essential gear for both parent and child.  They are worth it. You'll be able to go where the stroller won't.  

I currently own an Osprey Poco. I don't like it compared to other child carriers I've used.  The hip belt is too short and thin. When I cinch it tight the buckle digs into my gut. I'm a small statured guy so I imagine that the belt issue might be worse for someone bigger.

I'd recommend the Deuter or even a Kelty. Another thing I don't like about the Poco is how the sunshade is stored.  It slides down into the storage area at the bottom of the pack and basically blocks access to half the storage compartment.

Hope that helps.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 8
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will add a note on Kelty.  We have an older Explorer.  My husband loved it. The kid loved it.  For me, the shoulder straps were too wide and set too far apart.  So unless they've changed, this is a good pack for an average sized person or larger, but not good for a smallish-framed woman to carry.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2014, 7:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We picked up the Poco this week, with sunshade (the midrange one).

So far my daughter loves it. Got the torso length dialled in and she snugs in really well.

After a week of walking trails and going to the market my biggest observation is that a backpack carrier is really good for longer outings. Able to look around and reach my daughter didn't get bored or fuss like she might in her stroller after an extended walk.

Super happy with the purchase so far. Thanks for all the input guys! I should get lots of use our of it!

--------------
8 replies since May 25 2014, 8:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone used or selling an Osprey Poco / Deuter KC?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions